Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Philippe de Rochambeau <pd...@iht.com> on 2005/06/07 18:50:45 UTC

[users@httpd] cronologing and logrotating Apache logs

Hello,

has anyone ever used cronolog in conjunction with logrotate to rotate,
compress, and delete Apache log files after 15 days?

In my httpd.conf file, the CustomLog and ErrorLog entries are as
follows:

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/cronolog
/usr/local/apache2/logs/access.%Y%m%d.log" common

ErrorLog "|/usr/bin/cronolog /usr/local/apache2/logs/error.%Y%m%d.log"

I am thinking of configure logrotate as follows:

/usr/local/apache2/logs/*.log {
	weekly
	compress
	missingok
	notifempty
	sharescripts
	postrotate
		/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null ||
true
	endscript
}

How can I prevent logrotate from rotating the logs since cronolog is
already doing that (I want it to compress the logs, though)?

Do I need a prerotate command?

Many thanks.

Philippe