Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by afant <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/18 18:43:05 UTC

Retry connection on broker start when database is unavailable

I am using ActiveMQ 5.7  with JDBC master/slave (mySQL) configuration.
Additionally, I have configured HA to use jdbcPersistenceAdapter that uses
the the database locker by default.  Currently, by design the broker will
not start unless the broker can connect to the database.  If the broker is
started before the database is started, I get the following Runtime
exception, ERROR failed to start Apache ActiveMQ. Reason:
java.io.IOException: Communication link failure.

Our project routinely does patch upgrades to it's servers, and we have no
control over the order in which our ActiveMQ brokers and mysql databases
(jdbcPersistenceAdapters) are started.  The desired behavior would be to
start the broker (no RuntimeException), and allow the broker to retry
(multiple times) the connection to the database.  Is this feature available
in this release?  If so, could you provide me with the documentation to set
this up?