Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Jochen Pape <jp...@ariva.de> on 2001/10/11 15:22:34 UTC

incremental or not?

Hi,

can I prevent Xalan from reading out the complete Xerces-DOM-tree if it is not nessary? Why did the following try fial?

I tested the DOM2DOM example (a xslt transformation example with DOMSource) with 3 modifications:

1) I added a print-command to the getNodeValue method of the org.apache.xerces.dom.CharacterDataImpl class for debugging.

2) I set the http://xml.apache.org/xalan/features/incremental option to true in the DOM2DOM class.

3) I reduced birds.xsl to:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0">
  <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="Class">
<BirdInfo>

</BirdInfo>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The result was, that the debug-print-commands (see 1)) wrote out the whole content of birds.xml, although birds.xsl does not require any content. This happened even when i blew up the brids.xml file to over 1 MB.

Thanks,

Jochen