Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/08 16:29:50 UTC

Problem setting Notepad++ as log message editor for svn 1.9.7 (Windows7)

I have configured Notepad++ to be the editor for the log message.
This works OK if Notepad++ is *not* running at the time of an svn
operation. Then Npp pops up an edit window and I can enter the message
as expected and then close the window.

But when Npp is already running with one or several tabs with other
file edits, then Npp pops up with an edit tab inside the already
running window.
Now svn will not recognize my log message but instead pop up the
following on the command line:

Log message unchanged or not specified
(a)bort, (c)ontinue, (e)dit:

If I choose c then the commit proceeds but there is no log message...

How can I use Notepad++ as the log editor and not have this happening?

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden

Re: Problem setting Notepad++ as log message editor for svn 1.9.7 (Windows7)

Posted by Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 14:57:06 -0400, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have configured Notepad++ to be the editor for the log message.
>> This works OK if Notepad++ is *not* running at the time of an svn
>> operation. Then Npp pops up an edit window and I can enter the message
>> as expected and then close the window.
>>
>> But when Npp is already running with one or several tabs with other
>> file edits, then Npp pops up with an edit tab inside the already
>> running window.
>> Now svn will not recognize my log message but instead pop up the
>> following on the command line:
>>
>> Log message unchanged or not specified
>> (a)bort, (c)ontinue, (e)dit:
>>
>> If I choose c then the commit proceeds but there is no log message...
>>
>> How can I use Notepad++ as the log editor and not have this happening?
>>

>See:
>http://notes.richdougherty.com/2012/05/using-notepad-to-edit-subversion-commit.html
>
>You need to add the -multiInst option.
>
>The full set of options you should add actually seems to be:   -multiInst
>-noPlugin -nosession -notabbar

Thanks,
I added the -multiInst option to make the config file line read:

editor-cmd = "C:\Programs\Notepad++\notepad++.exe -multiInst"

And now it seems to work at least for my use case even though I did
not throw in the other switches.

Thanks for your help!

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Bo Berglund <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have configured Notepad++ to be the editor for the log message.
> This works OK if Notepad++ is *not* running at the time of an svn
> operation. Then Npp pops up an edit window and I can enter the message
> as expected and then close the window.
>
> But when Npp is already running with one or several tabs with other
> file edits, then Npp pops up with an edit tab inside the already
> running window.
> Now svn will not recognize my log message but instead pop up the
> following on the command line:
>
> Log message unchanged or not specified
> (a)bort, (c)ontinue, (e)dit:
>
> If I choose c then the commit proceeds but there is no log message...
>
> How can I use Notepad++ as the log editor and not have this happening?

See:
http://notes.richdougherty.com/2012/05/using-notepad-to-edit-subversion-commit.html

You need to add the -multiInst option.

The full set of options you should add actually seems to be:   -multiInst
-noPlugin -nosession -notabbar

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Problem setting Notepad++ as log message editor for svn 1.9.7 (Windows7)

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 12:41 PM Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote on Fri, 08 Jun 2018 18:29 +0200:
> > How can I use Notepad++ as the log editor and not have this happening?
>
> Subversion runs the editor command with system() and expects that when
> system() returns, if the exit code is zero then the user has finished
> editing the log message.  You should ask the Notepad++ guys how to
> invoke it in a way that satisfies this contract.  There may be a
> command-line
> flag you can pass (e.g., I use editor-cmd='gvim -f').

Or write a wrapper around it?

Re: Problem setting Notepad++ as log message editor for svn 1.9.7 (Windows7)

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Bo Berglund wrote on Fri, 08 Jun 2018 18:29 +0200:
> How can I use Notepad++ as the log editor and not have this happening?

Subversion runs the editor command with system() and expects that when
system() returns, if the exit code is zero then the user has finished
editing the log message.  You should ask the Notepad++ guys how to
invoke it in a way that satisfies this contract.  There may be a command-line
flag you can pass (e.g., I use editor-cmd='gvim -f').

Cheers,

Daniel