Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/05 11:35:24 UTC

Testing the eclipse update site

I tested the eclipse update site and works.

But one thing which seems a bit strange to me is
the names of the two projects:
- UIMA Runtime
- UIMA tools (includes Runtime)

When I want to install the tools it doesn't really matter if
I select the "UIMA Runtime" one or not, because the dependency
system will get it right for me.

Shouldn't we rename it to "UIMA Tools" ?

I also get a warning about unsigned content, maybe there a way to
sign it?

Jörn

Re: Testing the eclipse update site

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
Thank Marshall for clarification.

I have the same opinion as Jörn about the wording (i.e. confusing).
By looking at other tools, I prefer something like:
 - UIMA Runtime (required)
 - UIMA tools (Optional)

If UIMA tools is only checked, Eclipse should show an error (I think) if
there is no UIMA Runtime installed.

If I already have UIMA Runtime installed, UIMA tools (includes Runtime) can
confuse me.

Tong

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
I do only need the "runtime" plugin (nothing else) since I am developing
plugins that only use uima-core. Other tools are just overhead for me.
Even saying that, I prefer to have (I don't know how difficult to do that):
 - runtime plug-in
 - tools plugins without "runtime" plugin (that will require the above
runtime plugin)

Tong

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 12/5/2011 5:35 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> I tested the eclipse update site and works.
>
> But one thing which seems a bit strange to me is
> the names of the two projects:
> - UIMA Runtime
> - UIMA tools (includes Runtime)
>
> When I want to install the tools it doesn't really matter if
> I select the "UIMA Runtime" one or not, because the dependency
> system will get it right for me.
>
> Shouldn't we rename it to "UIMA Tools" ?

The reason it is named with (includes Runtime) is to create an expectation that
the user just has to check this box.  If we left off this phrase, users would
likely wonder if they had to also check the Runtime.

However, as you've noticed, it "just works" - whether or not the user checks
UIMA Runtime, so in some sense, it doesn't really matter - other than to reduce
some potential uncertainty in some users.  I guess I'd like to keep it as it is,
for that reason.

> I also get a warning about unsigned content, maybe there a way to
> sign it?

I once looked into signing.  I would certainly like to get this "signed",
somehow.  I will open up a topic about this on release-discuss, as this is an
Apache-wide issue.  Here's what I remember:

1) The Jar signing being checked for by Eclipse is not the same as the PGP key
signing we use at Apache, and requires some kind of a "certificate" issued by a
recognized certifying organization (for a fee).  There has been some discussion
previously at Apache about getting such a certificate for Apache projects to
use, but I don't think it has been done, and I don't think an effective way has
been worked out for projects to "share" such a certificate.

2) At one point, there was a thread which said that the way the signed Jars were
used in Eclipse caused (somewhat significant??) performance issues.  This may
now be no longer true....

-Marshall