Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Ripgiblet <ma...@mrchambers.org> on 2015/10/26 10:22:43 UTC

JAVA 8 bxml script variables not working

Having the same trouble with upgrade to JAVA 8 as may have been mentioned in
PIVOT-965.
Basically variables set in bxml:script are not accessible in the rest of the
bxml file.

<bxml:script>
        var vCellWidth = 788/10 - (9*4)/10;
        var vCellHeight = 68;
        var vCellWidth5 = 5*vCellWidth+4*4;
</bxml:script>

    <CardPane bxml:id="logincardpane">
        <BoxPane orientation="vertical">
            <TablePane styleName="tablepanestylelogin"
styles="{horizontalSpacing:1, verticalSpacing:10,
                showHorizontalGridLines:false,
showVerticalGridLines:false}">
                <columns>
                    <TablePane.Column width="$vCellWidth5"/>

Returns:
Caused by: org.apache.pivot.serialization.SerializationException: Value
"vCellWidth5" is not defined.
	at
org.apache.pivot.beans.BXMLSerializer.processAttributes(BXMLSerializer.java:1092)
	at
org.apache.pivot.beans.BXMLSerializer.processStartElement(BXMLSerializer.java:818)
	at
org.apache.pivot.beans.BXMLSerializer.readObject(BXMLSerializer.java:442)

Do you have a link to the 2.0.5.jar or 2.1.jar so I can try to see if the
security changes fixed this? (Or should I recompile from the Trunk? Or a
branch?)

or any other ideas on how to make it work?

regards,
Mark.

Re: JAVA 8 bxml script variables not working

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Mark,
     I think I see why the line numbers in your stack trace don't match
the current source:  I made some updates to fix Javadoc warnings (found
by Java 8) and hadn't rebuilt with those changes. So, I will send you a
new set of .jar files that should give me an accurate stack trace so we
can track down where (probably) some other changes need to be made.
     The basic issue that was (partially) fixed is that under the
Nashorn scripting engine in Java 8 (which is different than the Rhino
engine from earlier releases) is that the global variables go into a
separate namespace (the "nashorn.global" space) and that needs to be
searched for variables, methods, etc.  So, likely the problem you're
having is because there is another place in the code that needs this
workaround (see the new "substituteGlobals" private method in
BXMLSerializer.java) that I missed in my earlier changes. Having an
accurate stack trace from your failure should pinpoint the place.
     So, expect those new .jar files separately shortly.

Thanks,
~Roger

Posted by ma...@mrchambers.org.

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Mark,
> [...]

>          var vCellWidth = 788/10 - (9*4)/10;
>          var vCellHeight = 68;
>          var vCellHeight2 = vCellHeight*2;
>          var vCellHeight5 = vCellHeight*5;
>          var vCellWidth2 = 2*vCellWidth+4;
>          var vCellWidth3 = 3*vCellWidth+2*4;
>          var vCellWidth4 = 4*vCellWidth+3*4;
>          var vCellWidth5 = 5*vCellWidth+4*4;
>          var vCellWidth6 = 6*vCellWidth+5*4;
>          var vInfoHeight = 50;
>          var vInfoHeight2 = vInfoHeight*2;
>          var vInfoHeight6 = vInfoHeight*6;
>          var vInfoHeight8 = vInfoHeight*8;
>      </bxml:script>
>      <CardPane bxml:id="logincardpane">
>          <BoxPane orientation="vertical">
>              <TablePane styleName="tablepanestylelogin"
> styles="{horizontalSpacing:1, verticalSpacing:10,
>                  showHorizontalGridLines:false,
> showVerticalGridLines:false}">
>                  <columns>
>                      <TablePane.Column width="$vCellWidth5"/>
>                      <TablePane.Column width="$vCellWidth4"/>

Yes they worked;] thanks again for your help, and fantastic support, problem fixed;]

After we release this we can close the issue;]
I will also test over the next few days another issue I was having with internationalisation, that some things were not getting translated and others were...
I will let you know, I am hoping that this also fixed that;]

Regards,
Mark.

Posted by Roger Whitcomb <Ro...@actian.com>.
Hi Mark,
     Thank you for this -- it helps.  I'm trying to track down the fix for this right now.

Thanks,
~Roger

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Ok, got some time today so snapshot files are (using updated svn sources):

for 2.0.5 (built with jdk7u80):
https://bintray.com/smartiniontray/Apache-Pivot-related-downloads/pivot-snapshots-2.0.5/2015-10-30-snapshot/view#files

and for 2.1.0 (build with jdk 8u66):
https://bintray.com/smartiniontray/Apache-Pivot-related-downloads/pivot-snapshots-2.1.0/2015-10-30-snapshot/view#files

for simplicity I put there only Pivot usual jars (not the source and
doc versions, nor the pack200 version ... all this stuff required a
lot more time so it will be done just for convenience for real
releases, if needed); anyway I hope they will be good the same  :-) .

Keep us updated.

Bye

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,