Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Srinivasa7 <sr...@googlemail.com> on 2014/02/06 15:30:19 UTC

Performance impact using edismax over dismax

Hi All,

I have a requirement to search a query for entire string in the query
parameter, so I have shifted my query processor to edismax, and sending the
query as  'actual query string'+OR+actual+query+string.

It it returning desired results how ever I am wondering whether there is a
performance impact.

Any thoughts?

Using solr 3.6.2

Thanks
Srinivasa

Re: Performance impact using edismax over dismax

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Use the pf parameter and then you won't have to modify the original query at
all! And you can add a boost for the phrase, which is a common practice.

pf=search-field^10.0

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
Are you using the "pf" parameter to automatically add the quoted phrase? You
can include a boost in pf so that documents with the full phrase rank
higher.

Generally, dismax and edismax should give comparable performance, but some
parameter settings (e.g., pf, pf2, pf3) do add somewhat to query complexity,
albeit in the name of better relevancy.

-- Jack Krupansky