Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Lucien GENTIS <lu...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr> on 2012/04/22 14:24:39 UTC

manual/developer/modguide.xml is not a valid XML document

Hi all,

Have you tried to enter "./build.sh validate-xml" for trunk or 2.4 branch ?

I get hundreds of lines containing
"manual/developer/modguide.xml:1647:125: Attribute "style" must be
declared for element type ....." which hide other errors which may appear

Re: manual/developer/modguide.xml is not a valid XML document

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 23-04-2012 01:42, André Malo wrote:
> * Daniel Gruno wrote:
>
>> I've seen the errors, and I know of _a_ solution, which is to loosen up
>> common.dtd in the build system to allow styles within a <code> tag (and
>> subsequently allow for <pre> inside a <p>),
>
> <pre> is not allowed inside <p>, because both are blocks (in HTML then) and
> nesting is forbidden there.
>
> Also, style attributes are BAD. If you want to extend common.dtd, use
> classes and extend the css files (or, better: add a new one).
>
>> but the real rub here is
>> what Igor wrote in an email earlier this week; We don't have a
>> highlighting function for our documents, yet alone a way to distinguish
>> between configuration examples and source code, so we're forced to use
>> "invalid" XML segments in order to make the end result properly readable
>> for our readers.
>
> Fix the DTD and the XSLT. Breaking the build system is not a solution.
>
>> So again, I implore anyone who has knowledge of, or knows someone who
>> knows someone who can help us in creating some form of highlighting
>> feature, please step forward and let us know. The alternate route would
>> be to just revert every example back to plain text, which would render
>> most of it quite unappetizing to most readers.
>
> I suggest pygments. If we get that to run with jython, we could use it to
> auto-highlight code. But until then, it's plain text, yes; so please
> revert.
>
> nd
I have fixed the nesting issues that were, and changed all style
elements to classes instead, pending whichever solution might be deemed
the best. It will still require a laxer version of common.dtd which
allows for class tags within <code> elements, just as it is currently
allowed for <p> elements, but I'll need some input on whether people
think it's okay to change common.dtd to accommodate this, or whether
everything should just be plain-text, which would undoubtedly be a pain
to read.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: manual/developer/modguide.xml is not a valid XML document

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.

--
"Das Verhalten von Gates hatte mir bewiesen, dass ich auf ihn und seine
beiden Gefährten nicht zu zählen brauchte" -- Karl May, "Winnetou III"

Im Westen was neues: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: manual/developer/modguide.xml is not a valid XML document

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.
On 22-04-2012 14:24, Lucien GENTIS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have you tried to enter "./build.sh validate-xml" for trunk or 2.4 branch ?
>
> I get hundreds of lines containing
> "manual/developer/modguide.xml:1647:125: Attribute "style" must be
> declared for element type ....." which hide other errors which may appear

Don't forget the equally famous one:
	The content of element type "p" must match
	"(em|strong|code|a|br|directive|module
	|program|img|cite|q|dfn|var|transnote|glossary|phonetic)"

I've seen the errors, and I know of _a_ solution, which is to loosen up
common.dtd in the build system to allow styles within a <code> tag (and
subsequently allow for <pre> inside a <p>), but the real rub here is