Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/25 21:49:16 UTC

Discussion: graduating Subversion

Hi all,

Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
earlier).

Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?

Thanks,
-g

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Bring it on

On Jan 25, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
> earlier).
>
> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?
>
> Thanks,
> -g

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

A Day Without Nuclear Fusion Is a Day Without Sunshine

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:56, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> On 1/26/10 6:00 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
>>> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
>>> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
>>> earlier).
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?
>>
>> I want to see a graduation. Motivation; Incubator is about fostering
>> the community, and I don't think that the Incubator can provide
>> anything additional from the Apache folks already present in the
>> Subversion community. Anything else sounds like bureaucracy for the
>> sake of it, to me...
>
> Talking about bureaucracy, comparing
>
>  http://incubator.apache.org/projects/subversion.html
>
> and
>
>  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2010
>
> looks like the status file is not quite up to date.
>
> I'm assuming the question of graduation being asked means that all 'em boxes
> should in fact have been ticked by now. If so I say tick 'em and vote :)

Oop. Yeah. I'll get that updated ASAP. Thanks!

Cheers,

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 1/26/10 6:00 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
>> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
>> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
>> earlier).
>>
>> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?
>
> I want to see a graduation. Motivation; Incubator is about fostering
> the community, and I don't think that the Incubator can provide
> anything additional from the Apache folks already present in the
> Subversion community. Anything else sounds like bureaucracy for the
> sake of it, to me...

Talking about bureaucracy, comparing

   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/subversion.html

and

   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2010

looks like the status file is not quite up to date.

I'm assuming the question of graduation being asked means that all 'em
boxes should in fact have been ticked by now. If so I say tick 'em and
vote :)

cheers,

Leo

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/10 1:00 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Greg Stein<gs...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
>> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
>> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
>> earlier).
>>
>> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?
>>
> I want to see a graduation. Motivation; Incubator is about fostering
> the community, and I don't think that the Incubator can provide
> anything additional from the Apache folks already present in the
> Subversion community. Anything else sounds like bureaucracy for the
> sake of it, to me...

Well said. Nothing to add but my support for graduation.

Bill

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
> earlier).
>
> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?

I want to see a graduation. Motivation; Incubator is about fostering
the community, and I don't think that the Incubator can provide
anything additional from the Apache folks already present in the
Subversion community. Anything else sounds like bureaucracy for the
sake of it, to me...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 25, 2010, at 3:49 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
> earlier).
>
> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?

I took a quick look through the mailing lists and scan through current source. I would support graduation.

--kevan

Re: Discussion: graduating Subversion

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 17:21, Craig L Russell <Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
>> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
>> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
>> earlier).
>>
>> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?
>
> As I've said earlier, I'd like to know how you plan to resolve the question
> of in which package you propose to ship the Java components. IIUC, you use
> org.tigris in the distributions to date.

I don't think we have a specific plan for that yet, and I know we were
looking for "Apache Best Practices" on that, but not sure if we found
any there.

I'll bring that back to the dev list.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Greg,

On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before calling for a vote to graduate Subversion, I figured it prudent
> to have a discussion first. I believe Subversion is quite ready (and
> has been, but the holidays and whatnot kept me from sending this
> earlier).
>
> Any thoughts on why Subversion should NOT graduate now?

As I've said earlier, I'd like to know how you plan to resolve the
question of in which package you propose to ship the Java components.
IIUC, you use org.tigris in the distributions to date.

Craig

> Thanks,
> -g

Craig L Russell