Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org> on 2024/03/20 19:52:17 UTC

Backport to active branches by default

Hi ZK committers,

I've come across recently that patch authors keep asking me to backport
their patches to active branches, because it was only submitted to the
master branch.

I think we should get into the habit of submitting every accepted PRs
to all active branches (today it's branch-3.8 and branch-3.9) unless
it's explicitly asked otherwise.

For example, in case of a big new feature which requires a major
version upgrade, we should not do that automatically, but for
everything else, like bug fixes, improvements, code cleanups, doc
updates, etc. feel free and submit everywhere.

If we don't do that, we'll end up not shipping anything in minor
releases.

What do you think?

Regards,
Andor

Re: Backport to active branches by default

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Yes, that's what I mean. 3.9 is "current" - it should track latest changes.
3.8 is "stable" - it should only get critical fixes.

Patrick

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.