Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2016/02/04 12:06:58 UTC

Guiding volunteers

Several times a month we get people either here, or contacting us
individually, saying that they want to participate, and we don't do a
great job of steering them to Good Things.

I'd like to see a list (I don't care about the technology, and simple is
better) of ideas that people can work on. Things that take 10 minutes.
Things that take 2 months. Everything in between. People willing to
mentor and help, but who don't have the time to do it themselves.

I have a list of ideas that I would like to do some day, and have
recently accepted that I will never have the time to do them. But I want
someone to do them.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
I used to ignored off-topic (or not so focused) mails to this list. But in
the last months I've change to try to provide a pointer to what people are
actually looking for. Is that find, Rich? What else do you have in mind?

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

> On 5 Feb 2016, at 07:23, Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> This focus on tooling is the wrong focus, especially for those of us who don't know how to get started on new tooling, or for those who recognize we already have a fine tool for the job - we're just not communicating it well.

As much as it might be a tad chagrin - Wordpress will do this kind of expiration of posts. It can also be setup so folks can be delegated control etc.

Aside from not choosing tooling - good chat. :)

RE: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Q1 - already accounted for ("mentor" label)
Q2- already accounted for (and documented, use ComDev JIRA, sub the issue to dev mailing list)

The mentoring docs are already intended to be generic, I.e. Support non GSoC mentoring. Though I have no doubt they can be improved.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
In the case of GSoC mentoring, one needed change is to add the search case http://s.apache.org/gsoc2016tasks or maybe a generic http://s.apache.org/gsoctasks.

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

RE: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Sorry I didn’t paste the markdown as promised, here it is:

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Submittingideastothementoringprogramme"></a>
# Submitting ideas to the mentoring programme

All ASF projects are invited to submit their ideas for consideration in the
ASF mentoring programme. Any Apache member and experienced committers can
submit ideas via JIRA (if your project does not use JIRA you can [use the Comdev Issue Tracker For GSoC Tasks](use-the-comdev-issue-tracker-for-gsoc-tasks.html). We are looking for as many interesting projects as we can come up with.

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Summary"></a>
## Summary

* Add an issue to JIRA (if your project doesn't use JIRA contact dev@community.apache.org)
  * use sub-tasks if necessary
* Label the main issue with "mentor" (these will show up at the [ASF wide list of issues](https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?requestId=12315361))
* Label the main issue with "gsoc2011" if appropriate (these will show up at <http://s.apache.org/gsoc2011tasks>)

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Detail"></a>
## Detail

To ensure you JIRA issues are included in our list of mentored projects
please add the label "mentor" to the issue. If you want it to be included
in the Google Summer of Code lists also add the "gsoc" label. If you want
to include a number of issues in a single mentored project please create a
parent issue, label that one appropriately and add the other issues as
sub-tasks, do not label each individual sub task as they will appear as
separate tasks.

If a mentor has been identified then please assign the issue to that
mentor.

ASF Members and committers can volunteer to mentor or co-mentor proposals.
When in doubt about all this, contact code-awards@apache.org.

For more information about what it means to be a mentor and on how to write
a proposal see:

  - [GSoC Mentoring Guide](http://flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/)
  - [GSoC Advice For Mentors](http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors)
  - [Gnome HowTo on mentoring](http://www.gnome.org/~federico/docs/summer-of-code-mentoring-howto/)
  - [How to be a lazy but successful Google SoC mentor](http://ploum.net/post/221-how-to-be-a-lazy-but-successful-googlesoc-mentor)

Note that interest, even by a qualified student, does not mean that any of
those project will automatically go ahead. Depending on the number of
projects; the number of people able to mentor and the timing we will
probably have to make a smaller selection.

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Publicisingyourmentoredissues"></a>
### Publicising your mentored issues

You can link to the [ASF wide list of issues](https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?requestId=12315361)
 or you can create your own lists and feeds within your own website.

Since your mentored issues are recorded alongside your normal issues you
can create and use filters to help people find them. You can provide RSS
feeds, JSON exports and many more goodies for helping to get the message
out.

If you have any cool ideas for using this data please let us know so we can
share them with other projects (mail dev@community.apache.org)

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Examples"></a>
## Examples

  - [Wookie GSoC Issues](https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?requestId=12315360)
  - [Wookie RSS GSoC feed](https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-rss/12315360/SearchRequest-12315360.xml?tempMax=1000)
  - [Wookie XML GSoC feed](https://issues.apache.org/jira/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-xml/12315360/SearchRequest-12315360.xml?tempMax=1000)

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Stayingintouch"></a>
# Staying in touch

All mentors *must* subscribe to code-awards@apache.org, our list for
coordinating mentor activities.

Subscriptions to code-awards will only be accepted from addresses known to
belong to ASF committers, so please use your @apache.org address to
subscribe if possible, or at least an address that can be matched to your
@apache.org address via the ASF's private/committers/info or
private/committers/MailAlias.txt data.

If you are interested in the mentor programme administration please also
subscribe to dev@community.apache.org.

If you are planning on mentoring as part of the GSoC programme you also
need to register with Google, see our [GSoC](gsoc.html)
 page for more information.

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Howmucheffortisinvolvedwithbeingamentor"></a>
## How much effort is involved with being a mentor

Most mentors spend between 3 and 5 hours per week with their students. Most
of this time is spent encouraging them.

Within the ASF we like to think that the whole project community will help
the student just as they would with any other community member. If your
project is supportive in this way then you may be able to get away with
less time. However, as mentor _you_ are responsible for evaluating the
student and helping them deliver on their commitments.

The [GSoC Mentoring Guide](http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoringGuide)
 has plenty of useful materials for mentors.

<a name="guidetobeingamentor-Anoteabouteligibility"></a>
## A note about eligibility

If your project has any restrictions on who can participate (as is the case
with Harmony for example) please be sure to clarify these with potential
students as early as possible. It causes unnecessary confusion and
dissapointment if a student is awarded a slot but is later found to be
ineligible. Don't rely on the fact that the student should have read
details on the project web site. You must discuss their eligibility before
offering to mentor them. Please also make a note in the webapp stating that
you have, as far as possible, confirmed the student is eligble to
contribute.

1) Update the page at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fcommunity.apache.org%2fguide-to-being-a-mentor.html&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7cb9b4ac62aae2414c042f08d32dfd3c6a%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=jDZKwkgUrXgJdx7PAqlDb%2fm295zuoT9M7CcN2TqRfZI%3d to be more generic (i.e. not GSOC specific) and reflect the goals of this thread (if you don't know how to use the ASF CMS to edit our site I've pasted the markdown below, just edit here and someone can put it onto the site for you)

2) Pick your favourite project. Drop a mail to the dev list. Explain your motivation. Ask them to mark issues according to the guidelines in https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fcommunity.apache.org%2fguide-to-being-a-mentor.html&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7cb9b4ac62aae2414c042f08d32dfd3c6a%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=jDZKwkgUrXgJdx7PAqlDb%2fm295zuoT9M7CcN2TqRfZI%3d

--
Thanks & Regards,

Venkat Raman. R

RE: Guiding volunteers

--
Thanks & Regards,

Venkat Raman. R

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Venkat Raman <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi -

--
Thanks & Regards,

Venkat Raman. R

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> An alternative approach would be a help-wanted page, organized according
>> to skills, maintained on the same sort of system as the board agenda. Each
>> PMC chair whose project is looking for volunteers would supply information
>> about their needs. The result would be a public web page potential
>> volunteers could search.
>>
>> Ideally, it would be on a whimsey-like system, but a start could be made
>> by just defining a format and keeping the master page in a PMC chair
>> accessible SVN archive.
>>

> This is a wonderful idea.  I've been looking for a way to get the various
> incubating communities I'm helping organize recruit new contributors.  This
> would help solve this problem by making it easier for (p)PMC's to
> articulate what they would like help with from new community members.
>
> Obviously it would be an adhoc system, and up to projects to fill out and
> keep their want ad's up to date.  Perhaps a rule of the system would be
> that want ads are automatically deleted after a month if they aren't
> visited and renewed by project members to verify they are still current.

I've seen a system like that: http://savannah.gnu.org/people/
Information there seems very useful to me.

Woonsan

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Greg Chase <gr...@gregchase.com>.

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Rich,

RE: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
You are right. What I meant was people here are clearly interested in the act of community development. Therefore, we should each think about what we (as individuals in ComDev) can do to support people in the projects we represent in the broader ecosystem.

That's shouldn't be exclude listing issues in Jira as we do already for GSOC. But it can extend to making sure we actually point people to those lists of issues when someone turns up here.

Ross

> ...Before we go deep and technical in tooling, I think we should put a
> list together that *this* community would like to see....

Maybe I missed something but I haven't seen people looking at doing comdev stuff, the requests I have seen are from people who want to be involved in our projects at the code level.

So from this angle IMO what we can do at the comdev level is encourage projects to advertise their help wanted tasks, and maybe suggest a way of doing that that provides some foundation-wide consistency.

At the simplest we could just suggest that interested projects provide a "help wanted" link on their website front page, as part of our website guidelines.

-Bertrand

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Guiding volunteers

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.
Howe about the next volunteer that comes by asking for project ideas, we
have them build a volunteer wrangling system? A bit tongue-in-cheek here,
but there's a need that can be filled there.

The difficulty, from my perspective, in guiding volunteers is that there is
So Much under the Apache umbrella. Volunteers often do not come advertising
their skills - do you want to do Java? Great, there's 100 projects for you.
Do you want to do web development? That could be 75 more. Coming to Apache
and saying you want to work on something is like showing up to work at
<Large Company X> but not having a team there that expects you. There are
hundreds of projects and some of them are likely to be a good fit, but the
process for finding them is very expensive.

The volunteers that show up and say "I want to work on Spark!" are the easy
ones, and we can immediately point them at the appropriate project mailing
lists. The volunteers that have no directions need a process.

Mike

RE: Guiding volunteers