Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Mark Burks <bi...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/12 17:56:39 UTC

64 bit server

We are about to purchase a new server to house our lucene.net based search
service because our current server is at the end of its service contract and
we are having growing pains with other applications running on the box. We
need to know if lucene.net is capable of running in a 64 bit environment and
if being in a 64 bit environment will increase performance or will it just
operate as 32 bit. Has anyone had experience with this type of deployment?
Will this allow us to use ram instead of file system. Our index size is > 2
gigs.

Thanks in advance
Mark Burks

RE: 64 bit server

Posted by Michael Garski <mg...@myspace.com>.
Lucene.Net will run in a 64 bit environment with no problems, we do it
here.

As for putting the complete index in RAM, the index size is limited to
2GB in a RAMDirectory.

Michael

We are about to purchase a new server to house our lucene.net based
search
service because our current server is at the end of its service contract
and
we are having growing pains with other applications running on the box.
We
need to know if lucene.net is capable of running in a 64 bit environment
and
if being in a 64 bit environment will increase performance or will it
just
operate as 32 bit. Has anyone had experience with this type of
deployment?
Will this allow us to use ram instead of file system. Our index size is
> 2
gigs.

Thanks in advance
Mark Burks

RE: 64 bit server

Posted by Erich Eichinger <E....@diamonddogs.cc>.
Hi Mark,

Unfort. no experiences yet. But asfaik the datatype sizes of .NET are standardized. Thus an int will always be 32-bit, no matter if you run it on a 32 or 64 bit machine. Your app won't profit here. At least in theory you should be able to use a RAM based index > 2GB. I just see the problem of rebuilding the index each time your app goes down. Maybe an implementation leveraging memory-mapped files might be a good hybrid solution here.

Let us know your experiences - I'm eager to hear about it

cheers,
Erich

________________________________

Re: 64 bit server

Posted by Mark Burks <bi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the info guys. I am fortunate enough that the server we are
talking about getting will have 32 gig of memory. This server isn't going to
be dedicated to just lucene.net but will also house our IIS for the web
site. I've seen posts that say it is not possible to use a ram based index >
2 gig even on a 64 bit. Is there any truth to that? The posts also suggested
to split the index up to be able to use the ram based index.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: 64 bit server

Posted by Dean Harding <de...@dload.com.au>.
Mark Burks wrote:
> We are about to purchase a new server to house our lucene.net based search
> service because our current server is at the end of its service contract and
> we are having growing pains with other applications running on the box. We
> need to know if lucene.net is capable of running in a 64 bit environment and
> if being in a 64 bit environment will increase performance or will it just
> operate as 32 bit. Has anyone had experience with this type of deployment?
> Will this allow us to use ram instead of file system. Our index size is > 2
> gigs.

We run Lucene.net on 64-bit machines. It runs without problems (being