Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Akins <br...@turner.com> on 2005/08/19 21:00:43 UTC

RFC: redo CacheEnable

Anyone here who is familiar with squid knows that you can control the
caching behavior on a very flexible manner. See this url for examples:

http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid30/tuning.html#refresh_pattern

I copied this in my own cache module.

Is there any interest to bring something like this to mod_cache?  I was
thinking something like this:

#prefix match, don't try to cache this
CacheRule type=prefix arg=/server-status enable=off

#don't cache this very long. match uses strmatch
CacheRule provider=disk type=match arg=quick max=30

#Override expire on this stuff if less than 600 seconds
CacheRule provider=disk type=prefix arg=/special min=600 default=1200  \
max=3600

#change lmf for these. useing a pcre
CacheRule provider=disk type=regex arg=\d\.gif$ max=300 lmf=0.2

#provider may have own options
CacheRule provider=disk type=prefix arg=/other sendfile=off \
root=/some/dir

#catch all rule

CacheRule provider=disk type=all default=600 max=3600

This does complicate things.  We could use the current virtual server
level stuff as defaults for CacheRule.  This would, however, make the
cache very flexible.

I can write all the code, I just don't want to waste time if no one
cares.  I don't want to maintain a fork, as I already do that...

--
Brian Akins
Lead Systems Engineer