Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/05/06 19:16:07 UTC

Re: MapReduce Stats calculations

Meant to send this to dev@

On May 6, 2011, at 9:58 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> Hadoop has something like this:
> http://hadoop.apache.org/mapreduce/docs/r0.21.0/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapreduce/lib/aggregate/package-summary.html

Cool, and more importantly seems to provide a framework for such pieces.  I'll try that one out too.

> I find there's a very strong and unfortunate tension between
> reusability and performance in some cases. Having a discrete stage to
> compute something like this is good; if it can be computed inline in a
> prior stage and output on the side, that's a big performance savings.
>
> I also find myself tempted to construct a bunch of M/R primitives. For
> now I am trying to restrict my thinking to refactoring pieces that can
> come out easily, and that are used already in at least one place.

I think that's in line w/ what I did on M-686:  I put in variance and std. dev. b/c it needs them.  I just put them in a place that allows others to add as we need them (along the lines of what Ted is suggesting)