Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au> on 2004/07/11 11:12:11 UTC

Attribute and cast

Hi,

I do have a quick question about the cast of the attribute/reference
names: should the first character be in upper-case or not?

It seems that there are two schools here: for instance, ThreadPool
defines its attribute without an upper-case (e.g. poolSize and not
PoolSize) and SecurityService defines its with an upper-case (e.g.
PolicyConfigurationFactory and not policyConfigurationFactory).

Is it not cumbersome from a configuration perspective to have two
schools instead of a single one?

Thanks,
Gianny

Re: Attribute and case

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
I keep forgetting to send an email on this.

Based on conventions laid out in JSR 77 all attributes should start
with a lower case letter.  We had originally started with attributes
having an upper-case first character to match the JMX standard MBean
conventions, but since JSR 77 is required and uses a lower case first
character convention, we have been slowly switching everything over to
lower case.

The convention for attributes should be lower case first character and
camel cased after that (the same convention for class fields).

For references, we have been keeping them upper case first character to
distinguish them from attributes.

-dain