Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu> on 2003/01/10 19:24:43 UTC

Prevent directory listing - read the fine manual

Yes, you will ask me to read the fine manual.  But I seach, and all that
and could not find (easily) where the needed manual is.  But I found some
help one the web.  That was not enough.  So I download the 2.3 spec.
Well, the size of it went over my head.  Do some search did not help.

Here is my question if you bother:

To prevent directory listing under tomcat 4.x, one way is to set
listing=false under default servlet, under conf/web.xml

However, that's global to all apps.  I want it to only do that for 1 of my
apps.  So, you can say modify it to myapp/Web-inf/web.xml.

I tried, using copy and paste from the conf/web.xml to
myapp/Web-inf/web.xml, but it did not work, generate a bunch of error.

So, is it possible using this scheme?  Is modifying the application's
web.xml the right thing to do?  How to do it?  Or, where is the fine
manual?

Thank you very much for any help.

Vh