Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by ru...@vodafone.com on 2005/03/02 14:34:27 UTC

Commons logging and Axis (feature request??)

Hi,

would it be possible to modify the logging framework, so that the
commons-logging Log class isn't used anymore throughout the entire axis
distribution, but only in -say- the org.apache.axis.compontents.logging.Log
class? So you get a more loosely coupled logging framework, instead of a
lock-in. In other words, use an interface components.logging.Log and an
implementation that might (or not) use commons-logging.....
In this way one can build Axis without commons-logging. This is a
requirement if you want to use JBoss (3.2.5/6), it fails at the moment when
using commons-logging and scoped deployment.

Greetings,

Rutger Lubbers

Re: Commons logging and Axis (feature request??)

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
rutger.lubbers@vodafone.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would it be possible to modify the logging framework, so that the
> commons-logging Log class isn't used anymore throughout the entire axis
> distribution, but only in -say- the org.apache.axis.compontents.logging.Log
> class? So you get a more loosely coupled logging framework, instead of a
> lock-in. In other words, use an interface components.logging.Log and an
> implementation that might (or not) use commons-logging.....
> In this way one can build Axis without commons-logging. This is a
> requirement if you want to use JBoss (3.2.5/6), it fails at the moment when
> using commons-logging and scoped deployment.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Rutger Lubbers

Commons logging is meant to be that thin facade around logging, be it
Java.utils, Log4J or something else. I dont think we ought to be adding
another layer of indirection.

Better to fix the jboss problem. Is it something to do with their
classloaders?