Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2023/04/16 16:30:57 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Hi,

Here is a vote on the release of Apache Jena 4.8.0.
This is the first release candidate.

The deadline is

     Wednesday, 19th April 2023 at 20:00 UTC

Please vote to approve this release:

         [ ] +1 Approve the release
         [ ]  0 Don't care
         [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

==== Items in this release

https://s.apache.org/jena-4.8.0-issues

* The RDF/XML parser has been converted to use the
   Jena IRI abstraction IRIx.
   https://github.com/apache/jena/issues/1773

This is the first part of a move to convert the RDF/XML parser to be
consistent with the rest of Jena parsing

1. unified IRI treatment of error handling and reporting throughout Jena
2. improve maintainability
3. allow for alternative providers of IRI functionality

* Add CHANGES.txt
https://github.com/apache/jena/blob/main/CHANGES.txt
   It has been backfilled with announcement message from 4.0.0 onwards.
   It will be updated after the release - it has a link to [ANN]

* Search facility on the Jena website

@lucasvr (Lucas C. Villa Real) provided an analysis and improvement to
bulk loading operations.
   https://github.com/apache/jena/issues/1803
   https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/1819

@wjl110 - Shiro upgrade PR#1728
   https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/1728

Lucene upgrade from 9.4.2 to 9.5.0
   https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/1740
   https://lists.apache.org/thread/696xgpyg2441kzdowmp1b40tshctw25c

@dplagge (Daniel Plagge) - Delta graph fix
https://github.com/apache/jena/issue/1751

SimonBin: Fix for sharing link in Fuseki and YASGE
   https://github.com/apache/jena/issues/1745

Improved performance of "GRAPH ?g {}" (all graph names)
Prefix scan -- GRAPH ?G
   https://github.com/apache/jena/issues/1639
   https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/1655

@nichtich (Jakob Voß) jena-site improvements:
   https://github.com/apache/jena-site/pull/151

@sverholen JENA-2350 Pass JsonLdOptions to titanium for json-ld 1.1

==== Release Vote

Everyone, not just committers, is invited to test and vote.
Please download and test the proposed release.

Staging repository:
   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachejena-1057

Proposed dist/ area:
   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/jena/

Keys:
   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jena/dist/KEYS

Git commit (browser URL):
   https://github.com/apache/jena/commit/988c9e5cd174

Git Commit Hash:
   988c9e5cd17414b7b8793b746c29d37f2f2097d4

Git Commit Tag:
   jena-4.8.0

This vote will be open until at least

     Wednesday, 19th April 2023 at 20:00 UTC

If you expect to check the release but the time limit does not work
for you, please email within the schedule above.

     Thanks,

      Andy

Checking:

+ are the GPG signatures fine?
+ are the checksums correct?
+ is there a source archive?
+ can the source archive be built?
           (NB This requires a "mvn install" first time)
+ is there a correct LICENSE and NOTICE file in each artifact
           (both source and binary artifacts)?
+ does the NOTICE file contain all necessary attributions?
+ have any licenses of dependencies changed due to upgrades?
            if so have LICENSE and NOTICE been upgraded appropriately?
+ does the tag/commit in the SCM contain reproducible sources?

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.

> I'm running all the GH actions to check. If that's OK I'll send in a PR.

Sounds good, I'll check that out and see if that fixes the build on my
environment.

 PS GH Actions looking OK (I'm running them on my account because it
> pollutes the git repo history trying things out - MacOS action is
> far-and-away the most reliable!)

I used macos actions when I was working on cylc/cylc-flow, and some weeks
we just completely ignored the CI statuses of those jobs (the jobs were
already configured to not fail the build) because they would start randomly
failing. Still useful to catch some bugs - when it worked!

Bruno

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Bruno - what OS are you using?

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Kinoshita <ki...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
+1

[CANCELLED] [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
The problem shown by the unstable tests might leak into main code so
this vote is cancelled.

I'll build a new RC, hopefully later this week.

     Andy

Re: [VOTE] Apache Jena 4.8.0 RC1

Posted by "Rob @ DNR" <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
+1

Built with Java 17 on OS X, no problems building from source on my end

Rob