Posted to user@uima.apache.org by James Montgomery <ej...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/01 01:36:26 UTC

UIMA and semantic search

Thank you Thilo for your helpful and thorough comments on Lucene and UIMA
(thread "UIMA and Lucene"). They have helped confirm much of what I
suspected and clarified a number of points.

After further discussions with the engineering company they have indicated
that semantic search may be better suited to their needs (this is an R&D
project conducted between my university and the company, hence why we keep
changing out minds :-). With this in mind we are looking at the following
products. Any comments on their suitability for integration with UIMA to
produce a semantic search solution would be welcome, as would suggestions of
other semantic search tools.

- Sesame, for storing the CASes produced by our UIMA implementation
- Gnowsis, for searching the knowledge base in Sesame or some other RDF
database (although perhaps I'm showing my ignorance and it only works with
Sesame? :-)

Thanks,
James.

Re: UIMA and semantic search

Posted by James Montgomery <ej...@gmail.com>.
On 04/12/06, Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de> wrote:

> James Montgomery wrote:
> > Thank you Thilo for your helpful and thorough comments on Lucene and
> UIMA
> > (thread "UIMA and Lucene"). They have helped confirm much of what I
> > suspected and clarified a number of points.
> >
> > After further discussions with the engineering company they have
> indicated
> > that semantic search may be better suited to their needs (this is an R&D
> > project conducted between my university and the company, hence why we
> keep
> > changing out minds :-). With this in mind we are looking at the
> following
> > products. Any comments on their suitability for integration with UIMA to
> > produce a semantic search solution would be welcome, as would
> > suggestions of
> > other semantic search tools.
> >
> > - Sesame, for storing the CASes produced by our UIMA implementation
> > - Gnowsis, for searching the knowledge base in Sesame or some other RDF
> > database (although perhaps I'm showing my ignorance and it only works
> with
> > Sesame? :-)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James.
> >

> Hi James,
>
> before reading your note, I had never heard of Gnowsis (or Sesame for
> that matter, I haven't had occasion to work with RDF).  From looking at
> the docs, it seems to be a very interesting application and looks like
> it may be well suited for UIMA integration.  So I'm afraid I can't be
> much help here.  From looking at their docs for a bit it seems to me
> that your idea is worth pursuing, but that's really all I can say.
>
> I know too little about RDF to be sure, but one thing you may want to
> consider is how much free text search capability you need.  The span
> search I talked about in my previous note is basically text search with
> some semantics on top.  With RDF, you have much more sophisticated
> semantics, but no free text search.  Perhaps adding Gnowsis, which uses
> Lucene internally, will give you the right amount of each.
>
> Ok, enough IFs and MAYBEs ;-)  I hope there is something here that you
> didn't know already.
>
> --Thilo

Thanks again for your comments Thilo. We'll keep digging and see what we can
find out. If I come across an interesting way to integrate UIMA into a
semantic search application then I'll post some details here for others to
see.

James.

Re: UIMA and semantic search

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.