Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nicholas Payne-Roberts <ni...@hotmail.com> on 2003/04/25 02:08:28 UTC

[users@httpd] image display problem + javascript alias issue.

Does anybody know why certain images on my site won't display, even though
images with the same settings next to them will? I have done  chmod 755 /
chgrp & chown -R to all of /var/www/.
I have also seen the images in their path from within a web-admin tool for
my VE, so I know that they are not corrupt.

2nd problem: I have setup an Alias for a javascript directory, but scripts
arn't loading at all (used to load before I upgraded).

Here are the details of what I have configured within my httpd.conf:

Alias /js/ "/var/www/js/"

<Directory "/var/www/js">
    AllowOverride None
    Options All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

My error_log (set to warn) reports 200 of each .js that is requested, even
though when you attempt to use any of the scripts, they won't run.
Did i miss-compile my apache, missing a java-function??

I am running Apache 2.0.40 & PHP-4.3.1, running on a VE which has
RedHat-7.1p12.

P.S. I would be running 2.0.45 but I found that no images, css, scripts or
even htmls would output to the client except php, from build 2.0.41 and
upwards.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

RE: [users@httpd] image display problem + javascript alias issue.

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
Apache 2 and PHP are not fully compatible yet. For a
production-envirorement, consider Apache 1.3.27 and PHP 4.

Running 2.0.40 is a serious risk. You shouldn't, not just for yourself but
for the Apache-community as a whole. Also, you problem could be a bug that's
fixed in a later version.

To adress your problems. If some images are showing, and others aren't, are
you sure that the problem lies with Apache? Have you tried different
browsers, different clients? Are you using a proxy, firewall or such?
Perhaps post you can post a part of your server log?
Try to get a telnet connection up and running, and request some images. Look
at the headers and the content. If the problem lies with Apache, you should
be able to spot it.

Java and Javascript are two very different things. But anyhow, javascript
files should always work out of the box (apache doesn't do anything with
them). Do they have a .js extension? Is Apache outputting the proper
MIME-type (again, use TELNET) and set in your html (<script
type="text/javascript">)? Tried different browsers?

Apache 2.0.4x should "work" with PHP 4 up. The problems you are describing
suggest a configuration-problem. Perhaps you can post your server-config?

Kind Regards,
Sander Holthaus