Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com> on 2007/10/30 23:36:19 UTC

Just 1 hour to introduce Wicket (Friday)

A development team I did some work with (in a top 5 investment bank) today
asked me to give them a 1 hour intro to Wicket on Friday morning. I have
been telling them it's the way to go for a while and they have finally
"found" an opportunity. I want to make sure I use that hour to best effect,
for them and for Wicket.

The goal is to give them enough of an intro to painlessly get started on
their evaluation, armed with some high-level understanding of how to do
things in Wicket.

They have not used Wicket at all but they all have good web-app experience
and some have a lot of Swing experience too (in fact we were working on a
pretty powerful Swing framework for Credit Risk apps when I was there a
couple of years ago). They will probably want to use Wicket for some
internal support/monitoring/maintenance apps to start with.

So ... what do you think I must NOT omit in my 1 hour talk.

I will unfortunately not be able to help out with their upcoming projects,
but I'd quite like to help them make the right choice of web-framework
anyway because they're nice people and they deserve to give Wicket a good
chance.

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.co.uk jWeekend.co.uk

PS I expect to be asked to do this (or similar) for at least 2 other banking
project teams in London and 1 software house over the next few months. It
seems that more and more people I have been telling Wicket about are
gradually becoming receptive to the idea of starting upcoming new projects
with something smarter than their existing frameworks.

Re: Just 1 hour to introduce Wicket (Friday)

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
I have had a lot of very positive feedback about the 1 hour Wicket
presentation I gave on Friday and I believe that team will now start
evaluating Wicket and are quite excited about it!
Members of 2 other teams asked if they could also attend but the turn-out
was already way beyond what anybody (including the project manager) had
expected, just from that one team, so there was standing room only in the
conference-room we had booked. I guess we may be asked for a repeat show
soon.
The posts on this thread and the  http://manning.com/dashorst/ WIA  reworked
chapter 1 Eelco sent me (not quite yet available publicly, I believe) were
very helpful. I also used a few slides from
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/slides-and-presentations.html the wiki   and
drew a few UML diagrams that made the Swing developers there feel at home.
So, thanks to everyone for all the helpful input and resources.
One hour is not long and flies quickly by during such presentations, so I
had only about 15 minutes at the end to show-off a bit of code and how easy
turning a link into an Ajax (and then Indicating Ajax) link is, mainly based
on Al's AjaxToggleButton demo from a recent Wicket Users event. The
attendees' seemed to be quite impressed by this (which we all probably just
take for granted now). Their questions (on state/scalability/clustering,
pretty urls, bookmarkable pages, security, Ajax, special tags ...) were
varied and very astute, IMO, considering some of them hadn't even heard of
Wicket before the presentation was arranged, and I think they were quite
impressed with Wicket.

Regards  - Cemal
http://jWeekend.co.uk jWeekend.co.uk

PS  Does the latest beta release (4) still work with the
http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html quickstart  instructions. I saw
some posts suggesting that the pom is broken (slf4j and/or log4j versions)
and I'd like to warn them upfront so they don't get the wrong first
impressions, especially with something they can fix so easily if they know
what the problem is and that could waste so much time and cause unnecessary
frustration if they don't have any clue why it isn't "just working" (as I
told them things usually do in Wicket).

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
I like these points.

> 1. All code is Java, which enables end-to-end refactoring and gives
> you clean html.

And static typing gives you also good means to navigate your code. Use your
IDE to find the uses, overrides, etc. Make unsupported (due to API breaks)
methods final so that your clients break hard. Users of your components can
use code completion and javadoc hoovers. All the good Java stuff.

> 2. Composition enables reuse.  When I took a panel and moved it from a
> tab on a page to a modalwindow on the page by changing a couple of
> lines of code it made a big impact.

Another thing that is good about composition is that it makes it easier to
divide work. You don't have to work from page to page, but rather can pick
an course to very fine components.

> 3. Components have session state.  Hence the content of the session is
> determined by what components are on the page -- and further the
> session is cleaned out as components leave scope.  (And if state is
> kept in url parameters then session is not used, in case anyone
> complains about session size.  State must be somewhere, no?)

In the new version of Wicket In Action's chapter one, I state this:

"Wicket bridges the impedance mismatch between the stateless Hypertext
Transfer
Protocol (HTTP) and stateful Java programming." I added this after Dhanji
Prasanna asked me what I planned to say about that, which finally got that
light-bulb fired: 'that's indeed the core-core problem that Wicket tries to
[...]

you never need to be worried about pimple faced fourteen year olds trying to

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
As always on this forum we have managed to come up with some really helpful
information and ideas in double quick time! Thanks for all the input ... I
will now merge everything in with my original thoughts and see what I can
realistically expect to cover in 1 hour. I also hope this bag of ideas will
be useful to others who want to see Wicket get the support it deserves
and/or those who are trying to convince their PMs/teams that there really is
a better way to develop web apps and how much sense it makes (in terms of
$s, quality and job satisfaction, on top of all the technical stuff brought
up in this thread).

Any more thoughts are obviously more than welcome, but either way, I hope to
post about how it goes soon (probably not until next week as Al and I are
running the  http://jweekend.co.uk/dev/JW703/ weekend Wicket course  on
Saturday and Sunday and then we have to prepare for the our
http://jweekend.co.uk/dev/LWUGReg/ London Wicket Users Group  event on
Tuesday evening where I hope to talk about Trees in Wicket).

Thanks again for all the high quality feedback.

Posted by Jan Kriesten <ja...@renitence.de>.
hi cemal,

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Scott,

That's a powerful and well made argument. Thank you, I'm in!

I was going to show a simple-arithmetic-test panel (a simple captcha
replacement mechanism developed because I can never make out the Wicket
ones) and how that can be reused. This went down well at our first
http://jweekend.co.uk/dev/LWUGReg/ London Wicket User Group  (LWUG) event.
We used instances of the same component on both the jWeekend "contact
us/preview your message" page and on the "LWUG registration confirmation"
page.

I always show-off markup-inheritance because I like it!

The quality and helpfulness of this forum must get a big mention and also
the Wicket examples and gradually improving quality/organisation of the
docs/wiki. And,  http://manning.com/dashorst/ Wicket In Action .

I'll probably not go too deeply into state (concerns) in 1 hour (except that
if they're worried, they're being presumptuous and premature ;-) but I'll
certainly mention/describe detachable models.

A simple Ajax component is a must (I may borrow the AjaxOnOffToggleLink
example  http://herebebeasties.com Al Maw  built in front of the audience at
another LWUG), which also includes a bit of i18n but that may not be key for
this audience).

I agree that "behaviours" is an essential topic, but I doubt I can do them,
as well as all the above (and a mvn archetype/quickstart/eclipse demo),
justice  in 1 hour. I may draw a class diagram to show the general concepts
and mention behaviours.

Integration with Ajax libraries is not something I have played with yet, but
agree it would be cool. While we're on the topic,
http://dhtmlx.com/docs/products/dhtmlxTreeGrid/samples/drag_n_drop/treeGrid_drag.html
this 'd be nice as a Wicket component.

I'll probably also run down a more comprehensive list of things Wicket let's
you do easily and well (IoC, security, bookmarkable pages etc...) without
any detail at all, just so they know what is in the box.

Nick also mentioned the
http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/wicket-phonebook
phonebook app  - another good idea.

Gerolf mentioned "Xavier's slides for the talk at javazone'07" which I may
dig out too.

Posted by Scott Swank <sc...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> projects,
> >> but I'd quite like to help them make the right choice of web-framework
> >> anyway because they're nice people and they deserve to give Wicket a good
> >> chance.
> >>
> >> Regards - Cemal
> >> http://jWeekend.co.uk jWeekend.co.uk
> >>
> >> PS I expect to be asked to do this (or similar) for at least 2 other
> >> banking
> >> project teams in London and 1 software house over the next few months. It
> >> seems that more and more people I have been telling Wicket about are
> >> gradually becoming receptive to the idea of starting upcoming new
> >> projects
> >> with something smarter than their existing frameworks.
> >> --
> >>

> > --
> > Nick Heudecker
> > Professional Wicket Training & Consulting

Scott Swank
reformed mathematician

Re: Just 1 hour to introduce Wicket (Friday)

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
Nick,

Posted by Nick Heudecker <nh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maeder Thomas <th...@ecofin.ch>.
One thing I always think is totally awesome is this: you develop your
demo application, introduce some AJAX, etc. Just be sure to use stuff
that has non-AJAX fallbacks. Then, at the end you can just turn off
javascript and everything still just works. Dropped my jaw for sure;-)

Thomas