Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2018/03/19 19:44:19 UTC

[VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Accumulo Developers,

Please consider the following candidate for Accumulo 1.7.4.

Git Commit:
    b2a59189108d736729432e81b3d5717000c6b891
Branch:
    1.7.4-rc1

If this vote passes, a gpg-signed tag will be created using:
    git tag -f -m 'Apache Accumulo 1.7.4' -s rel/1.7.4 \
    b2a59189108d736729432e81b3d5717000c6b891

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1068
Source (official release artifact):
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1068/org/apache/accumulo/accumulo/1.7.4/accumulo-1.7.4-src.tar.gz
Binary:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1068/org/apache/accumulo/accumulo/1.7.4/accumulo-1.7.4-bin.tar.gz
(Append ".sha1", ".md5", or ".asc" to download the signature/hash for a
given artifact.)

All artifacts were built and staged with:
    mvn release:prepare && mvn release:perform

Signing keys are available at https://www.apache.org/dist/accumulo/KEYS
(Expected fingerprint: 8CC4F8A2B29C2B040F2B835D6F0CDAE700B6899D)

Release notes (in progress) can be found at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-1.7.4/

Please vote one of:
[ ] +1 - I have verified and accept...
[ ] +0 - I have reservations, but not strong enough to vote against...
[ ] -1 - Because..., I do not accept...
... these artifacts as the 1.7.4 release of Apache Accumulo.

This vote will remain open until at least Thu Mar 22 20:00:00 UTC 2018
(Thu Mar 22 16:00:00 EDT 2018 / Thu Mar 22 13:00:00 PDT 2018).
Voting continues until the release manager sends an email closing the vote.

Thanks!

P.S. Hint: download the whole staging repo with
    wget -erobots=off -r -l inf -np -nH \

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1068/
    # note the trailing slash is needed

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Yup, that's the only thing that would have come to my mind (hadoop bugs
that have been long-fixed).

On 3/22/18 10:07 PM, Christopher wrote:
> Yeah, I vaguely remember that now. It definitely seems to be the problem
> here. I believe it is one of the reasons we moved to 2.6.4 in 1.8+
>
> I had forgotten about that. The 1.7 branch was still building with Hadoop
> 2.2.0 and I now do my testing with jdk8 only, so that's why it kept being a
> problem for me.
>
> Thanks for the info. I spent way too much time this week looking into this
> when all I needed to do was test with a newer version of Hadoop (or an
> older version of jdk), but at least I now know what the problem was.
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, 21:15 Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Josh, I know you said you didn't have much time, but just in case you
>> get a
>>> moment: do you know why `UserGroupInformation.isLoginKeytabBased()` might
>>> be false on the server side? This seems to be the root cause of the
>>> problems.
>>>

>> I recall running into HADOOP-10786 a while ago ("in java 8 isKeyTab is
>> always false given the current UGI implementation"). Not sure if that would
>> be relevant here.
>>

>>> https://github.com/apache/accumulo/blob/b0016c3ca36e15ee4bdde727ea5b6a
>>> 18597de0ff/core/src/main/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/rpc/

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Understood. I'll ignore the failures for now, and vote based on other
factors.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Re[2]: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
I successfully ran all test in 1.7.4rc1 that start with Kerberos,
except for KerberosRenewalIT which timed out after 541 secs.  I am
going to try running KerberosRenewalIT in older 1.7 tags.

RE: Re[2]: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com>.
This is historical information from when I was running tests against 1.7.3, but in case it helps with the current discussion.  (File timestamps are last Feb / March of 2107)

I was using local / openbox VM and spun up a small AWS instance.  I never got KerberosRenewalIT.testReadAndWriteThroughTicketLifetime » TestTimedOut test ti... to pass.

All other tests passed at least once.

This is the chart that I kept to keep track – fingers crossed that is get through in a readable form. The X indicates the test failed.

Instance Type

Test

AWS1

AWS2

AW3

OpenBox 1

OpenBox 2

OpenBox3

AssignmentThreadsIT.testConcurrentAssignmentPerformance:91

BadDeleteMarkersCreatedIT>AccumuloClusterIT.teardownCluster:223 » TestTimedOut

ChaoticBalancerIT.test:80->Object.wait:502->Object.wait:-2 » TestTimedOut test...

ConditionalWriterIT.testTrace:1476 » TestTimedOut test timed out after 60 seco...

DurabilityIT.testWriteSpeed:103 log should be faster than flush

FateStarvationIT.run:79 » Runtime java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.zooke...

KerberosRenewalIT.testReadAndWriteThroughTicketLifetime » TestTimedOut test ti...

ShellServerIT.trace:1444

TabletStateChangeIteratorIT.test:100 No tables should need attention expected:<0> but was:<1>

UnorderedWorkAssignerReplicationIT.dataWasReplicatedToThePeerWithoutDrain:548 » TableOffline

KerberosReplicationIT.dataReplicatedToCorrectTable:224 » TestTimedOut test tim...

Re[2]: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Mike Miller <mi...@gmail.com>.
Well, just in case:

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Oh, also, after those actions are done, archive the 1.7.3 release artifacts
and update relevant download links on website to point to archive (if not
automatic).

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Release actions performed:

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Mike Walch <mw...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 from me.

Found a minor problem with copyright dates:

Some of the copyright dates in NOTICE files in the tarballs and in the
generated html manual still indicate 2017 and should be updated, but I
don't think this is sufficient to block a release. (Please -1 if you
disagree; it is not a problem for me to fix and generate an rc2).

I also verified:

* All ITs pass in Jenkins (finally got KerberosRenewalIT to pass by setting
-Dhadoop.version=2.6.3)
* Source tarball contents match git commit sha1
* All hashes and signatures match
* Binary tarball contains expected libs and dependencies
* Jars are accompanied by javadoc and source jars
* Ran accumulo using https://github.com/astralway/uno and verified basic
install from binary tarball
* Inspected LICENSE/NOTICE files - see above for copyright date problem

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Mike Miller <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.7.4-rc1

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.