Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/20 13:23:30 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons Skin 4.2 based on RC1

We have fixed a few bugs and added one enhancement since Apache Commons
Skin 4.1 was released, so I would like to release Apache Commons Skin 4.2.

The Git tag commons-skin-4.2-RC1 commit for this RC is
5134928cd1aaa6fc29328b8fea173e4002e39196 which you can browse here:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-skin.git;a=commit;h=5134928cd1aaa6fc29328b8fea173e4002e39196
You may checkout this tag using:
     git clone https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-skin.git
--branch commons-skin-4.2-RC1 commons-skin-4.2-RC1

Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1477/org/apache/commons/commons-skin/4.2/

Note: There are no binary artifacts for this component.

I have tested this with 'mvn clean install' using:

Apache Maven 3.6.0 (97c98ec64a1fdfee7767ce5ffb20918da4f719f3;
2018-10-24T19:41:47+01:00)
Maven home: /usr/local/apache-maven-3.6.0
Java version: 1.8.0_222, vendor: Private Build, runtime:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre
Default locale: en_GB, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-166-generic", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

*****************
NOTE: Please read the 'Validating a release candidate' section below to
test the candidate since there are no class files in commons-skin. It
contains templates for rendering the site for other commons components.
*****************

Details of changes since 4.1 are in the release notes and reproduced here:

New features:
o   Optionally render bare <div class="source"><pre> tags using prettyprint.
     The functionality is enabled using custom properties to be added to
the site.xml.

Fixed Bugs:
o   Fix processing of custom <footer> element from commons-parent site.xml.
o   Update processing of <head> section to handle injected XHTML.
o   Fixed background on navigation menu collapsed icon from white to
transparent.

Removed:
o   Remove unused css files. These are not used in the current skin and
     are from previous skin versions.

Note:

No stylesheet changes have been made in this release. It fixes
functionality in commons-skin-4.1 that no longer works with the
maven-site-plugin specified in the most recent commons-parent.

There is no site for this component.

KEYS:
   https://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

Please review the release candidate and vote.
This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now.

   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
   [ ] +0 OK, but...
   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Thank you,

Alex Herbert,
Release Manager (using key BC87A3FD0A54480F0BADBEBD21939FF0CA2A6567)

Validating a release candidate
==============================

These guidelines are NOT complete.

Requirements: Git, Java, Maven.

You can validate a release from a release candidate (RC) tag as follows.

1) Clone and checkout the RC tag

git clone https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/commons-skin.git --branch
commons-skin-4.2-RC1 commons-skin-4.2-RC1
cd commons-skin-4.2-RC1

2) Check Apache licenses

mvn apache-rat:check

3) Check binary compatibility

SKIPPED - not applicable

4) Build and install the package

mvn install

You can record the Maven and Java version produced by -V in your VOTE reply.
To gather OS information from a command line:
Windows: ver
Linux: uname -a

5) Test the skin:

You can test Apache Commons Skin by adding the following to your
site.xml site descriptor for the maven-site-plugin:

   <skin>
     <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
     <artifactId>commons-skin</artifactId>
     <version>4.2</version>
   </skin>

     <!-- Custom <head> tag with injected XHTML is supported. -->
     <head>
       <![CDATA[<script type="text/javascript" id="MathJax-script" async
src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/mathjax@3/es5/tex-mml-chtml.js">
       </script>]]>
     </head>

   <custom>
     <!-- Escaping with CDATA is not required. -->
     <footer>
       Apache Commons, Apache @project.name@, Apache, the Apache feather
logo, and the Apache Commons project logos are trademarks of The Apache
Software Foundation.
       All other marks mentioned may be trademarks or registered
trademarks of their respective owners.
     </footer>

     <!-- Custom properties controlling the commons-skin template. -->
     <commonsSkin>
       <!--
         Convert preformatted source section tags to prettyprint:
class="prettyprint">
       -->
<prettyPrintSourcePreTags>false</prettyPrintSourcePreTags>

       <!-- Add the "linenums" class to the prettyprint enabled source
tags -->
<prettyPrintLineNumbersEnabled>false</prettyPrintLineNumbersEnabled>
     </commonsSkin>
   </custom>

Please check that:

1. The site looks like it does with commons-skin-4.1. CRITICAL!

2. The head meta data contains the injected MathJax script (as described
above). Try injecting other XHTML to verify this functionality adds the
XHTML to the rendered pages.

3. The footer contains the Apache copyright information (requires the
custom <footer> element described above; it should not be escaped with
CDATA tags). The duplicate test 'Apache Apache' should not appear when
describing the project.

4. The collapsed menu icons DO NOT have the white background around the
small grey arrow.

Note: Most commons sites do not require the custom properties to
configure prettyprint in their documentation since they are written
using the XDOC format.

Any XDOC format can include code snippets using for example:

<source class=<prettyprint">
String value = "coloured";
</source>

This functionality was supported by commons-skin-4.1. Check it still
works if you use code snippets with prettyprint.

APT format documents can include code snippets using for example:

String value = "coloured";

Re: [VOTE][CANCEL] Release Apache Commons Skin 4.2 based on RC1

Posted by Alex Herbert <al...@gmail.com>.
-1

When verifying RC1 I noticed that the updated velocity template
generates an empty 'velocity.log' file in the project root directory.
This only occurs when you try to add custom XHTML to the <head> tag.

I am cancelling this vote and will re-roll with a fix.

Alex