Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/20 00:41:01 UTC

Request for assistance with Xenserver

Hi folks,

Today I was checking a problem with XCP, and looking at the code to check
how ACS discovers the hypervisor version I had a doubt. Sadly, I did not
have in my hands an environment using Xensever. So, can some of you that
use Xenserver, run the following command and provide me with the output?

xe host-param-list uuid=<host UUID> | grep software-version

Thanks in advance

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Request for assistance with Xenserver

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Now I got your point,
That is true; there has not been much evolution in ACS in respect to XCP. I
know that, the last commit in respect to XCP, was a bug that we (I and some
colleagues) fixed a while ago. Since, we are using it in our environment;
we are checking if everything is working properly with XCP in ACs and
starting to maintain it.

What you said is true, ACs also uses SSH and not just the API of XAPI, but
so far, everything is working as expected with XCP. The only problem is the
one I found yesterday. I just opened a Jira ticket because that is the
protocol; we are the ones that will fix that problem.

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Rafael,

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Rafael,

I'm pretty sure XCP has not been maintained since Citrix's XenServer was made fully opensource.

Tim Mackey from the Xen Project did a load of work so that the CloudStack code explicitly refers to XenServer to cover this; making way for Xen (as Xen+Libvirt) to be introduced - something that I was a big fan of. However I believe that the latter part of this project has stalled.

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Paul Angus
VP Technology   ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 203 603 0540 | s: +44 203 617 0528<tel:+44%20203%20603%200540%20|%20s:%20+44%20203%20617%200528>     |      m:      +44 7711 418784<tel:+44%207711%20418784>

e:      paul.angus@shapeblue.com | t: @cloudyangus<ma...@cloudyangus>      |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:imageeedd1e.png@1079e55a.4fac341a]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Rafael,

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Remi,

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hi Rafael,

This is from my devtest environment:

XS62
xe host-param-list uuid=uuid  | grep software-version
                     software-version (MRO): product_version: 6.2.0; product_version_text: 6.2; product_version_text_short: 6.2; platform_name: XCP; platform_version: 1.8.0; product_brand: XenServer; build_number: 70446c; hostname: ganash-1; date: 2015-11-05; dbv: 2013.0621; xapi: 1.3; xen: 4.1.5; linux: 2.6.32.43-0.4.1.xs1.8.0.861.170802xen; xencenter_min: 2.0; xencenter_max: 2.1; network_backend: openvswitch; xs:xenserver-transfer-vm: XenServer Transfer VM, version 6.2.0, build 70314c; xcp:main: Base Pack, version 1.8.0, build 70446c; xs:main: XenServer Pack, version 6.2.0, build 70446c

# XS65
xe host-param-list uuid=uuid | grep software-version
                      software-version (MRO): product_version: 6.5.0; product_version_text: 6.5; product_version_text_short: 6.5; platform_name: XCP; platform_version: 1.9.0; product_brand: XenServer; build_number: 90233c; hostname: squeeze-1; date: 2015-04-17; dbv: 2015.0101; xapi: 1.3; xen: 4.4.1-xs108914; linux: 3.10.0+2; xencenter_min: 2.3; xencenter_max: 2.4; network_backend: openvswitch; xs:main: XenServer Pack, version 6.5.0, build 90233c; xcp:main: Base Pack, version 1.9.0, build 90233c; xs:xenserver-transfer-vm: XenServer Transfer VM, version 6.5.0, build 90158c

You can easily run XenServer as a VM on for example KVM of VMware. I use this to make the template unique at first boot: