Posted to packagers@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2007/09/19 08:12:43 UTC

Re: help with Vista UAC issues [was: Looking for Vincent Bray]

> From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
>
> Jon Schwartz (NT) wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> 	It looks like the issue actually boils down to mismarked custom actions in the package.  Specifically, the following custom actions are marked to run on behalf of the user (i.e., non-elevated), rather than on behalf of the machine (i.e., elevated):
>>
>> 	Custom Action			Current Type			"Promoted" Type (i.e., elevated equivalent)
>> 	----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 	SelfRemoveService		1106				3154
>> 	SelfStopService		1106				3154
>> 	InstallConfFiles			1602				3650
>> 	RemovePriorService		1618				3666
>> 	SelfInstallService		1618				3666
>> 	SelfStartService		1746				3794
>> 	StartApacheMonitor		1746				3794
>>
>> 	(Note that SelfStartService and StartApacheMonitor only require elevation since interactive users don't have SERVICE_START permissions on the service)

FYI, I followed all of these changes, but decided to retain StartApacheMonitor,
the user can't be allowed to have that impersonating the localsystem in their
userspace, it's a security consideration because from there, they may launch
the full SCM, connect to remote machines, etc.

Suffice it to say, if they install as-user, and want to administer rather than
just view the world through ApacheMonitor, they will need to grant appropriate
permissions.

Bill