Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2004/08/25 16:47:38 UTC

net access still down in Sri Lanka

The damn cable that the ship broke is still broken .. apparently it
may be down the rest of the week. As a result the Axis/C++ team's
net access is toast, um, sunk.

The Axis/C++ folks here wanted me to report that the planned beta
for the 31st will likely be delayed because of this.

They are however doing some testing with the latest checkout they
had before the lines went dead.

Shit happens. Or should I say ship happens.

Sanjiva.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Andrew Perry2 <PE...@uk.ibm.com>.

I'm just removing a dependency on j2ee.jar (SocketFactory) then re-testing
and documenting. Hopefully this afternoon, but probably Monday. I'm working
on a structure for building the java services via Ant, and the minimum set
of what is required to be in the deliverable to make it buildable on IBM
WebSphere and AXIS Java. In between builds I'm doing the tcp monitor
automation stuff.

Regards

Andrew Perry
Clients for Web Service Stack
perryan@uk.ibm.com
Mail Point 127
IBM UK Laboratories. Hursley Park, Winchester, Hants. SO21 2JN
Tel. Internal 249828  External + 44 (0)1962 819828
Fax. + 44(0)1962 818080

             John
             Hawkins/UK/IBM@IB
             MGB                                                        To
                                       "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
             03/09/2004 10:22          <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           RE: Generated source in CVS
             Developers List"

Re having static tests for e.g.  looking at results through tcpmon.
Andrew Perry is implementing a simple automation of handler tests that
spins off a tcpmon like program that puts the result into a file and then
does a compare of the expected result to the actual result.

Andrew - how long until this can go into cvs?

John Hawkins

             damitha kumarage
             <damitha@opensour
             ce.lk>                                                     To
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             03/09/2004 07:32          <ax...@ws.apache.org>

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 11:36, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> --- damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 10:09, Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> > > Sounds like we are in sync on this.
> > >
> > > I think we have bulk of the required functionality with the auto
build and test suite scripts
> > we
> > > have got. (BTW: do we have Windows versions of these now?)
> > >
> > > Damitha! Are we going to remove the generated code for the existing
samples/tests from cvs?

> > I think samples sould be static and in the build time samples should be
> > built. But the tests should not be static and code should be generated
> > when running the test suite.
> > For a average user who intend to down load and see the samples running
> > ./configure ...
> > make
> > make install
> > deploy the service samples and run the client samples
> >

> > For a developer who needs to see whether everything is ok before he
> > commits his changes.
> > cd $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build
> >
> > sh autoBuildCVS.sh
> > This should
> > 1. merge his changes
> > 2. source build
> > 3. generage tests
> > 4. deploy service tests
> > 5. run client tests
> >
> > Therefore my suggestion is that we need to have all the tests in the
> > auto_build/testcases folder. If we need any static tests then we can
put
> > them
> > in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests folder as well. But in this case code should not

> > be generated for testing. All the required files should be in place.
> > In this sense uddi_inquire test should not be placed in
> > $AXISCPP_HOME/tests. It should be in
> > $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases
>
> This does not sound correct to me. This sounds like lot of duplication
(same test in 2 places)

> Why cant we use the tests in $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases?
> I do not understand the need for seperation of dynamic and static.
> I thought we are using $AXISCPP_HOME/tests from within
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases.
under $AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases we have seperate folder
to keep wsdls and another folder to keep client .cpp files(not
generated). When it builds it creates the folder <wsdlname>Client.cpp in
$AXISCPP_HOME/tests/auto_build/testcases/build and generate the files
and copy the client .cpp file to that place and build.

Why we need a static tests is for the following reason. Some tests are
there you can check the test only by looking at the response result on
tcpmon. eg. to test whether handler add a response header.

Actually there should be no test duplication. I am suggesting to move
all the tests to auto_build/testcases folder from tests folder unless
you need it there for some specific reason as the example mentioned
above.

> I do not think that we need the generated code at all, because if someone
is to use Axis C++
> he/she must have the WSDL2WS tool. Hence I see no point in putting the
generated code in cvs,
> whether the test is static or not.
>
> The greatest trouble I have is that the cvs chekout takes hours when the
network is slow, and most
> of the time is spent on downloading the code that I could have easily
generated locally.

> For those users who need to have a look at the samples, the generated
code is not required to be
> packaged. They can generate and see if they want.

The problem here is that if the samples files are to be generated at
build time how to do that in make make install process?
Does the ant build for c++ make the life easier in this respect?

thanks
damitha

> Samisa...
>

> > thanks
> > damitha
> > >
> > > Samisa...

List

cc

Subject

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

> [...]

above.

> I do not think that we need the generated code at all, because if someone
is to use Axis C++
> he/she must have the WSDL2WS tool. Hence I see no point in putting the
generated code in cvs,
> whether the test is static or not.
>
> The greatest trouble I have is that the cvs chekout takes hours when the
network is slow, and most
> of the time is spent on downloading the code that I could have easily
generated locally.

> For those users who need to have a look at the samples, the generated
code is not required to be
> packaged. They can generate and see if they want.

The problem here is that if the samples files are to be generated at
build time how to do that in make make install process?
Does the ant build for c++ make the life easier in this respect?

Subject

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
> The problem here is that if the samples files are to be generated at
> build time how to do that in make make install process?
> Does the ant build for c++ make the life easier in this respect?

Yes ant will make this possible.
However I guess that we could get the same done with make. Need to do a bit of research on this.

Samisa...

=== message truncated ===

http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

This is not correct for the way that we will be running here. We have many
machines one is a build machine and one is the teest machine. The build
machine does what it says and builds ONLY (with the verification that the
cuild is OK as whether the tests built (not ran) or not). The output is
then put onto the test machine which then runs the tests. We do not bother
to run the tests if the build verification tests (BVT) fail.

I don't believe it is correct to say that BVT is the same cycle as
regression test - they are distinct processes.

John Hawkins

             damitha kumarage
             <damitha@opensour
             ce.lk>                                                     To
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             03/09/2004 04:33          <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           RE: Generated source in CVS
             Developers List"

Forgive me been so late on commenting on this. But, is not it better if
we coordinate these two, I mean build verification and regression test
into a single test process. This shoud
1 CVS checkout
2 Source build
3 code generation for both client adn service
4 deploy services
5 run clients

thanks
damitha
On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 15:43, John Hawkins wrote:

> Agreed - we should not mix up build and testing.
> If we use the building of the clients using the WSDL2WS from that build
> then this is a very useful build verification test e.g.
>
> 1. CVS checkout
> 2. Source build
> 3. Code generation for both client and service (at this point we need the
> WSDL, preferrably stored
> localy)   this is a Build verification test (BVT)
>
> If build verification works then test against services.......
> 4. Deploy services
> 5. Run clients
> This is the Regression test
>
> John Hawkins
>

>              Samisa Abeysinghe

>              <samisa_abeysingh

>              e@yahoo.com>
>                                        Apache AXIS C Developers List

>              28/08/2004 03:19          <ax...@ws.apache.org>

cc

>              Please respond to
Subject

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@opensource.lk>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
--- John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> OK, I see what you're saying.
>
> Hmm, not sure that this is going to work. As soon as we find a single test
> that we want to add we would then have a choice of either adding it into
> Axis-Java tests (and hence having to write a Java client) or adding it into
> C testsuite. This then turns into an "Axis" test-suite. Which is a good
> idea but not sure that we are ready to do this just yet?
>
> Oh and - do they have the same level of automation in Axis-Java?

This is a good point; and I am not sure of. May be we could use our own script.

Samisa...

=== message truncated ===

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

> [...]

> We need to have C at the server-side because this tests the Axis-C server
-
> right?
> Therefore, using the Axis Java services will not test the Axis-C server -
> right?
> Therefore, whatever we do, if we want to test the C server  we need to
> write C services - right?
> Therefore if you are saying we use the Axis-Java services then we should
> still right Axis-C services - right?
>
> We (Our group not the Axis community) would like to test against non-C
> services too. This is effectively testing interoperability between a C
> client and  a Java server - something that is good for the Axis C
community
> too. Therefore we would like to put all the test services code into CVS
> (both C and Java). Thus we would have the following in the CVS tree ->

Subject
> [...]

the
> need of having Java
> service code in our C++ cvs tree. Is that an acceptable solution? Or do
we
> need different services
> to test againt, other than what is already available with Axis Java?
>
> Samisa...
>

> > John Hawkins
> >

> >              damitha@opensourc
>
> >              e.lk

> >              27/08/2004 11:07          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"
>
> >                                        <ax...@ws.apache.org>
>

> cc
> >              Please respond to
>
> >               "Apache AXIS C
> Subject
> >              Developers List"          RE: Generated source in CVS

> > Hi John,
> > >

> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > With regard to auto-build and testing. Could someone explain to me
> about
> > > the server-side a little more.
> > >
> > > Reason for asking: We have a load of tests that are not in CVS but we
> > > would
> > > like to put in. We are holding them out because we do not have C++
> > > services
> > > created for them yet (although some use Calculator most do not) We
are
> > not
> > > going to be able to produce the c services for some time. We do, of
> > > course,
> > > have the java services created for them.
> > >
> > > I don't fully understand the way that the test-suite works in terms
of
> > the
> > > services being available - where is the service code? How is it
> deployed
> > > the server?
> >
> > Service code is neither built nor deployed and tested by the test suite
> at
> > the moment.
> >
> > > Although we can add in our clientside wsdls into the autobuild (a
> > valuable
> > > thing to do anyway) we don't want to break the CVS autobuild if there
> are
> > > no services on the server-side so how do you know which tests to run?
> >
> > test suite has no knowledge of what service are deployed and ready to
> serve
> > at the moment.
> >

> > > If there is somekind of "testrun" script that understands what
services
> > > are
> > > deployed and only attempts to run those then we can add in our client
> > > stubs
> > > today, they can build only,  and as the services get created for them
> the
> > > "runtests" script can change too.
> >
> > When we run a test it would be nice if the wsdl is downloaded into the
> > wsdl folder and generate stubs and then run the test. I guest being
able
> > to download the wsdl implies that the web service is running?.

=== message truncated ===

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Hi John,

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

Hi Samisa,

I'm confused ! I'll repeat and see whether we can understand each other ->

We need to have C at the server-side because this tests the Axis-C server -
right?
Therefore, using the Axis Java services will not test the Axis-C server -
right?
Therefore, whatever we do, if we want to test the C server  we need to
write C services - right?
Therefore if you are saying we use the Axis-Java services then we should
still right Axis-C services - right?

We (Our group not the Axis community) would like to test against non-C
services too. This is effectively testing interoperability between a C
client and  a Java server - something that is good for the Axis C community
too. Therefore we would like to put all the test services code into CVS
(both C and Java). Thus we would have the following in the CVS tree ->

C clients for all tests.
C services for all tests
Java services for all tests.

Does this help explain my position?

cheers,
John.

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             28/08/2004 03:23          <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           RE: Generated source in CVS
             Developers List"

--- John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Damitha,
>
> OK, so we'll go ahead and put our test clients into the autobuild process
> then as this is independent of the running of the tests.
>
> re:
> >When we run a test it would be nice if the wsdl is downloaded into the
> >wsdl folder and generate stubs and then run the test. I guest being able
> >to download the wsdl implies that the web service is running?.
>
> Hmm, I think this is not a good idea as it would imply that the build had
> to be able to see the test suite - a bad dependency.
>
> I think we should work on the basis that the tests are built using the
> wsdl's in CVS and their associated clients are kept in CVS.
>
> We still have to work out a way to place the server side code into CVS in
> that case. This is going to invlove a directory structure for c and java
> services. What do you think - good idea?

I proposed to use the same test cases as that of Axis Java to eliminate the
need of having Java
service code in our C++ cvs tree. Is that an acceptable solution? Or do we
need different services
to test againt, other than what is already available with Axis Java?

Samisa...

> John Hawkins
>

>              damitha@opensourc

>              e.lk

>              27/08/2004 11:07          "Apache AXIS C Developers List"

>                                        <ax...@ws.apache.org>

cc
>              Please respond to

>               "Apache AXIS C
Subject
>              Developers List"          RE: Generated source in CVS

> Hi John,
> >

> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > With regard to auto-build and testing. Could someone explain to me
about
> > the server-side a little more.
> >
> > Reason for asking: We have a load of tests that are not in CVS but we
> > would
> > like to put in. We are holding them out because we do not have C++
> > services
> > created for them yet (although some use Calculator most do not) We are
> not
> > going to be able to produce the c services for some time. We do, of
> > course,
> > have the java services created for them.
> >
> > I don't fully understand the way that the test-suite works in terms of
> the
> > services being available - where is the service code? How is it
deployed
> > the server?
>
> Service code is neither built nor deployed and tested by the test suite
at
> the moment.
>
> > Although we can add in our clientside wsdls into the autobuild (a
> valuable
> > thing to do anyway) we don't want to break the CVS autobuild if there
are
> > no services on the server-side so how do you know which tests to run?
>
> test suite has no knowledge of what service are deployed and ready to
serve
> at the moment.
>

> > If there is somekind of "testrun" script that understands what services
> > are
> > deployed and only attempts to run those then we can add in our client
> > stubs
> > today, they can build only,  and as the services get created for them
the
> > "runtests" script can change too.
>
> When we run a test it would be nice if the wsdl is downloaded into the
> wsdl folder and generate stubs and then run the test. I guest being able
> to download the wsdl implies that the web service is running?.
>
> thanks
> damitha
> >

> >              "Susantha Kumara"
> >              <susantha@opensou
> >              rce.lk>
> >                                        "'Apache AXIS C Developers
List'"

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

> [...]

valuable
> thing to do anyway) we don't want to break the CVS autobuild if there are
> no services on the server-side so how do you know which tests to run?

test suite has no knowledge of what service are deployed and ready to serve
at the moment.

> If there is somekind of "testrun" script that understands what services
> are
> deployed and only attempts to run those then we can add in our client
> stubs
> today, they can build only,  and as the services get created for them the
> "runtests" script can change too.

When we run a test it would be nice if the wsdl is downloaded into the
wsdl folder and generate stubs and then run the test. I guest being able
to download the wsdl implies that the web service is running?.

Subject
>               "Apache AXIS C           RE: Generated source in CVS
>              Developers List"
>

> Yes we need to have in CVS only the following
> - The WSDL
> - Business logic filled server side skeletons
> - Client side manually written source files that uses the generated stub
>
> And we probably need some changes in the WSDL2Ws tool to say,
> - Not to generate server side skeletons (so that they don't overwrite
> files)
> - Probably to place the generated files in gen_src folders when a
> command line option --autotest is given.
>
> Susantha
> ---

Posted by da...@opensource.lk.
Hi John,

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by John Hawkins <HA...@uk.ibm.com>.

Hi Folks,

With regard to auto-build and testing. Could someone explain to me about
the server-side a little more.

Reason for asking: We have a load of tests that are not in CVS but we would
like to put in. We are holding them out because we do not have C++ services
created for them yet (although some use Calculator most do not) We are not
going to be able to produce the c services for some time. We do, of course,
have the java services created for them.

I don't fully understand the way that the test-suite works in terms of the
services being available - where is the service code? How is it deployed to
the server?
Although we can add in our clientside wsdls into the autobuild (a valuable
thing to do anyway) we don't want to break the CVS autobuild if there are
no services on the server-side so how do you know which tests to run?

If there is somekind of "testrun" script that understands what services are
deployed and only attempts to run those then we can add in our client stubs
today, they can build only,  and as the services get created for them the
"runtests" script can change too.

Thoughts?

John Hawkins

             "Susantha Kumara"
             <susantha@opensou
             rce.lk>                                                    To

RE: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Susantha Kumara <su...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Adrian Dick <ad...@uk.ibm.com>.

Hi,

I agree that only the client code should be placed into CVS.   As it is
vital the tests always use generated code from the latest WSDL2Ws tooling,
and this is a simple way of forcing the issue - not to mention reducing
clutter and checkout times.

Regards,
Adrian
_______________________________________
Adrian Dick (adrian.dick@uk.ibm.com)

             Samisa Abeysinghe
             <samisa_abeysingh
                                       Apache AXIS C Developers List
             26-08-04 15:36            <ax...@ws.apache.org>
                                                                        cc

              "Apache AXIS C           Generated source in CVS
             Developers List"

Re: Generated source in CVS

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, I am talking about those gen_src folders. (both in test and samples)

Ideal solution is to automate the generation during build time.

Samisa...

Re: Generated source in CVS

Generated source in CVS