Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Doug Kiely <Do...@ktek.com> on 1998/11/06 01:01:20 UTC

config/3348: Adding shortcuts with -k shutdown and -k restart to the Win32 install

>Number:         3348
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       Adding shortcuts with -k shutdown and -k restart to the Win32 install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
For those running Apache on Win32, there's command line switches for
shutdown and restart of Apache as of Apache/1.3.3. This allows a more
graceful shutdown and restart then using ctrl-c. This will also prevents
the pid file message from appearing on the start of Apache for Win32.

So what we have is...

To shutdown Apache, use the command line switch:

     -k shutdown

To restart Apache:

     -k restart

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
I'd suggest in the Apache Web Server folder under the Start|Programs
menu to make shortcuts with these switches. For instance, in the
properties dialog box for the "Shutdown" shortcut, append " -k shutdown"
(without the quotes) to the Target property. Into the properties dialog
box for the "Restart" shortcut, append " -k restart" (without the quotes)
to its Target property.

One can then select "Start|Programs|Apache Web Server|Shutdown" and
"Start|Programs|Apache Web Server|Restart" to shutdown and restart the
Apache server, respectively. Obviously this is beneficial for those running
Apache/Win32 from the command line.

InstallShield should support making shortcuts with these switches.

If not, provide batch files in the same directory as Apache.exe. Name one
Shutdown.bat containing...

@echo off
apache -k shutdown

and name another Restart.bat containing...

@echo off
apache -k restart

Then provide shortcuts from the InstallShield install to these two files, a
shortcut called Shutdown and the other Restart.

I think this would be an easy and real beneficial feature enhancement that
would be simple to implement.