Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2004/04/26 16:17:42 UTC

Re: 2.1

CCing to the dev list :)

Beau E. Cox wrote:
> On Monday 26 April 2004 03:43 am, you wrote:
>
>>Beau E. Cox wrote:
>>
>>>Hi -
>>>
>>>It looks like 2.1 is going through a big update tonight,
>>>and the cvs sources are unstable.
>>>
>>>If you have a chance, can you let me know when it is
>>>usable again?
>>
>>yeah, I saw that there would probably be some issues.  I'll try to get it
>>running again sometime this week.
>>
>>--Geoff
>

> No sweat. I have good sources.
>
> The things I am seeing are incorrect versions of mods when
> I test mod_perl: expecting 20040425 got 20030821. Got those
> in mod_apreq.so and mod_authn.so.

oh, that's different.  it probably means that your test is picking up on an
old apache 2.0 build instead of the one you are specifying with -apxs.

check t/conf/apache* in your mod_perl build and you'll probably find the
path to your 2.0 apache and not your 2.1 apache.  more of the sticky
preference foo, I'm afraid...

I pretty much do this during my nightly build between each of my matrix of
mp2 installs.  it's overkill I'm sure, but I just couldn't deal with the
leftovers from previous installs getting in my way anymore.

  find /perl/ -name "Apache*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;
  find /perl/ -name "mod_perl*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;
  find /perl/ -name "ModPerl*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;

  find /perl/            -name TestConfigData.pm -exec sudo rm -f {} \;
  find /src/mod_perl-2.0 -name TestConfigData.pm -exec rm -f {} \;
  rm -rf /home/geoff/.apache-test

> I'll wait, no hurry. It happened because I try to update
> to current every Sunday (being a descendent of Columbus after
> all).

I generally build against 2.1 nightly, but I've been shutting down
completely on the weekend to avoid the pull to code when I should be with my
family :)

anyway, I looked over a bunch of core.c and server.c commits in 2.1 and
figured they would cause problems.  I plan to look at it during the week and
get something sorted out as soon as I can.  between that and the 2.0.48 and
below issues that were just introduced, it looks to be an exciting week in
the compatibility arena :)

> Aloha => Beau;
>
> PS: let me know if you want some 3rd party testing.

always.  I'll make an announcement when we're running with 2.1 again.

--Geoff

Re: 2.1

Posted by "Beau E. Cox" <be...@beaucox.com>.
On Wednesday 28 April 2004 02:09 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> my nightly build last night went off without a hitch:
>
> /apache/2.1/worker/perl-5.8.4/bin/httpd -d
> /src/mod_perl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry/t -f
> /src/mod_perl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry/t/conf/httpd.conf -D APACHE2 -D
> PERL_USEITHREADS
> using Apache/2.1.0-dev (worker MPM)

> All tests successful
>
> $ /apache/2.1/worker/perl-5.8.4/bin/httpd -V
> Server version: Apache/2.1.0-dev
> Server built:   Apr 28 2004 03:10:55
> Server's Module Magic Number: 20040425:0
>
> are you still having a problem?

Geoff -

I solved my problem yesterday, I guess my reply didn't get to you:

> > The things I am seeing are incorrect versions of mods when
> > I test mod_perl: expecting 20040425 got 20030821. Got those
> > in mod_apreq.so and mod_authn.so.
>
> oh, that's different.  it probably means that your test is picking up on an
> old apache 2.0 build instead of the one you are specifying with -apxs.

No so. I have solved that problem (which I ran into last month)
with a set of 'iron clad' scripts that keep every version I have
(2.0 2.0-debug 2.1 2.1-debug) isolated from the other versions.

I tracked down the 'problem'. I did not have an error message for
mod_authn.so (I misread the log due to no sleep), only with mod_apreq.so.
Guess what? 'mod_apreq.so' recently went bye-bye so mod_apreq.so from
the last compile of Apache2.1 was picked up by the mod_perl Apache::Test
configuration builder, and, of course, it was out-of-date.

I have fixed my scripts to nuke all .so s prior to install. All is
well.

Again, thank you for your help.

Aloha => Beau;

Re: 2.1

Posted by "Beau E. Cox" <be...@beaucox.com>.
On Monday 26 April 2004 04:17 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> CCing to the dev list :)
>
> Beau E. Cox wrote:

> >>yeah, I saw that there would probably be some issues.  I'll try to get it
> >>running again sometime this week.
> >>
> >>--Geoff
> >
> > No sweat. I have good sources.
> >
> > The things I am seeing are incorrect versions of mods when
> > I test mod_perl: expecting 20040425 got 20030821. Got those
> > in mod_apreq.so and mod_authn.so.
>
> oh, that's different.  it probably means that your test is picking up on an
> old apache 2.0 build instead of the one you are specifying with -apxs.

No so. I have solved that problem (which I ran into last month)
with a set of 'iron clad' scripts that keep every version I have
(2.0 2.0-debug 2.1 2.1-debug) isolated from the other versions.

I tracked down the 'problem'. I did not have an error message for
mod_authn.so (I misread the log due to no sleep), only with mod_apreq.so.
Guess what? 'mod_apreq.so' recently went bye-bye so mod_apreq.so from
the last compile of Apache2.1 was picked up by the mod_perl Apache::Test
configuration builder, and, of course, it was out-of-date.

I have fixed my scripts to nuke all .so s prior to install. All is
well.

Again, thank you for your gracious help.

Aloha => Beau;

Re: 2.1

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.