Posted to jaxme-dev@ws.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org> on 2004/02/26 22:05:06 UTC

developer documentation

i'm starting to find my way a bit better around the JaxMe source now
but (without wanting this to sound like a big criticism) i think that
there isn't anything to allow a new developer to quick get up to speed.
i think that (in the long run) good developer document is an excellent
way to encourage the formation of a healthy community of developers to
spread the load.

it'd also help me start to understand jaxme.

i'd like to start by improving the javadoc - but i need the existing
developers to keep a sharp eye out for any misunderstanding i might
have. there are a couple of ways this might be done. i could post
PATCHs to the list or i could commit changes and other people  could
read the cvs commit messages and (in true apache tradition) jump on any
mistakes.

please let me know whether this plan is acceptable and which method
would be most suitable.

- robert

Re: developer documentation

Posted by robert burrell donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 26 Feb 2004, at 21:48, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> i'd like to start by improving the javadoc - but i need the existing
>> developers to keep a sharp eye out for any misunderstanding i might
>> have. there are a couple of ways this might be done. i could post
>> PATCHs to the list or i could commit changes and other people  could
>> read the cvs commit messages and (in true apache tradition) jump on
>> any mistakes.
>
> For me personally a CVS commit is even more convenient, because I
> can use the Eclipse comparator to verify what has changed.

that's great 'cos that's the way i like it too :)

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@ispsoft.de>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i'm starting to find my way a bit better around the JaxMe source now but
> (without wanting this to sound like a big criticism) i think that there
> isn't anything to allow a new developer to quick get up to speed. i
> think that (in the long run) good developer document is an excellent way
> to encourage the formation of a healthy community of developers to
> spread the load.

What criticism? You're simply damn right. We do not even have a proper
documentation for users.

> i'd like to start by improving the javadoc - but i need the existing
> developers to keep a sharp eye out for any misunderstanding i might
> have. there are a couple of ways this might be done. i could post PATCHs
> to the list or i could commit changes and other people  could read the
> cvs commit messages and (in true apache tradition) jump on any mistakes.

For me personally a CVS commit is even more convenient, because I
can use the Eclipse comparator to verify what has changed.

Jochen

RE: developer documentation

Posted by Ias <ia...@tmax.co.kr>.
> i'm starting to find my way a bit better around the JaxMe
> source now but (without wanting this to sound like a big
> criticism) i think that there isn't anything to allow a new
> developer to quick get up to speed.
> i think that (in the long run) good developer document is an
> excellent way to encourage the formation of a healthy
> community of developers to spread the load.

That's a good idea.

> it'd also help me start to understand jaxme.
>
> i'd like to start by improving the javadoc - but i need the
> existing developers to keep a sharp eye out for any
> misunderstanding i might have. there are a couple of ways
> this might be done. i could post PATCHs to the list or i
> could commit changes and other people  could read the cvs
> commit messages and (in true apache tradition) jump on any mistakes.

I prefer the latter, i.e., commit changes and review CVS messages informing
me of the changes.

> please let me know whether this plan is acceptable and which
> method would be most suitable.

I'm looking forward to your great work on that,

Ias