Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> on 2005/12/24 03:29:27 UTC

Re: Illegal characters, can xmlbeans be forgiving?

Do your XML documents specify the encoding in the XML declaration? If
not, there's no way to distinguish between UTF-8 and ISO-8859-X without
the multiple parses - and the multiple parse approach doesn't even come
close to guaranteeing that you've ended up with the correct encoding
(since the different flavors of ISO-8859-X reuse the same byte values
for different characters). If the documents *do* give the encoding in
the XML declaration, XMLBeans should be reading it and interpreting the
document correctly.

  - Dennis

Re: AW: Illegal characters, can xmlbeans be forgiving?

Posted by maarten <ma...@dns.be>.
profos@rspd.ch wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>concerning the question of whether XmlBeans should enforce the "environmental" rules about encoding and by consequence about erroneous sequences, I have a sligthly different viewpoint: I agree that - given an encoding indication - the parser should detect and reject erroneous sentences. However, I don't see the strict necessity of the presence of such specifications: Think of internal parameter files of configurations or user setup which are strictly internal to the application using it - here I don't see any reason why to enforce such rules. I therefore would opt for XmlBean Options enabling to switch on or off the rigourous enforcing of such rules.
>
>What do you mean about?
>
>Dieter

What is the problem with using UTF-8  (or UTF-16) for these internal files ?

Posted by pr...@rspd.ch.

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Posted by maarten <ma...@dns.be>.
I have noticed that xmlbeans 2.0 doesn't care whether the encoding
declaration
in the xml document matches the byte-encoding that is actually used.
It seems to be more forgiving than I would like it to be.

For example:

public static void test (String charsetDocument, String charsetBytes)
throws Exception {
System.out.print ("doc: " + charsetDocument + ", bytes: " + charsetBytes