Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Lai Will <la...@student.ethz.ch> on 2011/03/03 23:03:01 UTC

frontend & backend

Hello,

When skimming through the API I sometimes find docs like:

"Get the JobConf. This should only be called on the backend. It will return null on the frontend".

What do they refer to as backend / frontend?

Best,
Will

Re: frontend & backend

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Frontend is the machine you launch Pig from.  This is where all
planning is done.  The backend is the Hadoop cluster where your jobs
are executed.

Alan.