Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Tom Vaughan <to...@positiveenergyusa.com> on 2009/08/07 18:50:21 UTC

Startup Woes #2 of #2

I've downloaded the shinding WAR per the "getting started" documentation
instructions and deployed it on a jetty server which brings the context just
fine.

I hit the "To Do" gadget and/or the "Gadget Testing Container" page and it's
like none of the actual gadgets render (See screenshots).  I also tried
including some of the other labpixies.com gadgets and they show the same
behavior.

I'm on Ubuntu 9 w/ Firefox 3.5 but I had some co-workers on Windows w/
Firefox 3 and Mac OSX w/ Safari 4 and they all see the same behavior.

Is there a configuration/proxy setting I'm missing?

RE: Startup Woes #2 of #2

Posted by "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>.
If you need Shindig to use a proxy, you'll need to Guice inject a Guice Provider implementation which can provide an instance of a Java Proxy object configured to use your proxy.  See the Java docs on the Guice Provider interface and the Java Proxy object for more info:

http://google-guice.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/latest-javadoc/com/google/inject/Provider.html

(note that link points to Guice 2.0 docs, and I think Shindig 1.0 uses Guice 1.0, but it should be close enough to give you an idea of what it is - I had trouble finding a quick pointer to the Guice 1.0 JavaDocs)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/Proxy.html

Also have a look at the source of the BasicHttpFetcher to see how the Provider<Proxy> is used:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/tags/shindig-project-1.0-incubating/java/gadgets/src/main/java/org/apache/shindig/gadgets/http/BasicHttpFetcher.java

Have a look at the Shindig DefaultGuiceModule if you aren't familiar with Guice injection:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shindig/tags/shindig-project-1.0-incubating/java/gadgets/src/main/java/org/apache/shindig/gadgets/DefaultGuiceModule.java

You basically need to create a Guice module of your own to bind your Provider<Proxy> implementation and then add a reference to it in your web.xml (look at the one that Shindig already provides to see where it goes).

Hope that helps!

--Jesse

I hit the "To Do" gadget and/or the "Gadget Testing Container" page and it's like none of the actual gadgets render (See screenshots).  I also tried including some of the other labpixies.com<http://labpixies.com> gadgets and they show the same behavior.