Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/20 05:11:23 UTC

Please update the road map

This is just a quick note to ask everyone to please take a few moments
to update the road map on the wiki:

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/RoadMap

It would really help the community if this page was updated to better
reflect the current status of the project.

Thanks!

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Jacek,

IMHO, the following is required to finish up Tomcat...

1) The Context GBean object (should be a no brainer).  This is a
placeholder descriptor for predeclaring a Tomcat Context in our plan
(similar to the server.xml).  Then when deploying the TomcatContext
through the deployer, the TomcatContainer will need to marry-up the
deployment with the predeclared Context.

2) The Valve GBean (Another no brainer).  This will allow us to declare
Valves in the plan and have it placed at the (IIRC) Engine, Host, and
Context levels.  This is a near copy of the Engine and Host GBeans, with a
few dependency modifications.

3) A nice default ROOT context that shows a pretty Geronimo/Tomcat web
page, so it does not have a default view of the Catalina configuration
which could be a security issue. (This is a call for any of you Web
layout/ Graphics gurus to produce a polished Geronimo/Tomcat page).

4) Much needed additional unit tests for the deployer and tomcat modules.
I have manually tested many items (such as SSL), but it would be nice to
have these as unit tests.  The current unit tests apply to JAAS, JACC,
Standard Tomcat execution, and generic deployment.  I would love to see
some more transaction, inital context, root context and JNDI, and virtual
host tests.

5) Clustering?  We could write GBeans to use Tomcat clustering, but I
think that Application Server based clustering is much more appropriate,
so I think this can probably be placed on the back-burner.

Other than this, IMHO, it is pretty much complete.

I can handle 1 and 2...and will probably have these done this week.  I can
use some help on 3 and 4...and get comments on 5.

Also, it would be great to get folks pounding on the Tomcat module and see
what bugs we may have.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <jl...@apache.org>.
Jeff Genender wrote:
> I have made some major changes to the Tomcat module that makes it much
> more viable in Geronimo.

Wow! Excellent! The list of changes is very impressive. I wish I had
helped you in them.

What do you envision is yet necessary to have Tomcat fully integrated?

> Jeff

Jacek

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
Good point about JACC.  IIRC, the only requirement for JACC was that is
if we are to support virtual hosting, the contexts must be unique.  This
may require that we add the host name to the policy context id if the
virtual host identifier is used.

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Re: New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

New Tomcat Changes

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.
I have made some major changes to the Tomcat module that makes it much
more viable in Geronimo.  I will briefly explain them in this email, but
will update the Wiki with the detail.

The biggest changes are the support for the Engine, Host, Realm, and
Connector objects.  I have created GBean wrappers around these Tomcat
objects, and provided for dependencies between them which follows the
Tomcat rules for these objects.

This means there is no need for a server.xml file.  The equivalent of
this file is the j2ee-server-tomcat.xml plan.  Its layout is similar to
the server.xml from a dependency perspective, file where, we have our
container (service), and dependencies with the engine and host gbeans.
The realm gbean can be applied at the engine and host level.  This
allows Tomcat to declaritively use the Geronimo security model with JAAS
or JACC.  There are 2 realms that must be used if you wish to use JAAS
or JAAC.  This is the TomcatJAASRealm (for JAAS) or TomcatGeronimoRealm
(for JACC).

I also added a Tomcat Builder so we will no longer rely on the Jetty
version.  The main reason for this is that Tomcat supports virtual hosts
(declared by additional HostGBean objects in the plan).  The web
applications can now include a geronimo-tomcat.xml file in the WEB-INF
file which is very similar to the Jetty version.  The only difference is
support for the <virtual-server> parameter.  This allows you to deploy
your web application to a specific virtual host.

TODO: The context object within the plan to predeclare a context
placeholder(like in a server.xml).  I will be working on this to
finalize the Tomcat integration.

Jeff