Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com> on 2013/08/20 05:13:52 UTC

Instance Names

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone can point me into the right direction, I have provisioned an instanced; however, I failed to create a name for it. Now in my list of instances, I see the UUID and not a 'custom' name so to speak. I'm sure this can easily be manipulated via the database, however; I am looking through docs etc, unsure where to make changes.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciate!

- M.

RE: Instance Names

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Maurice,

Sorry the link is a feature to name instances ACS and show in hypervisor with ACS name. This is not going to help your current problem.

I think Marcus gave you a correct solution, if all you need to change is UUID, then test is on 1 VM, make sure all functions well, and then proceed to the reset.

If you want to figure out where UUID maybe mentioned other than instances table, here is what I generally do - when I'm need to figure out what needs to change.

Backup your db

Pick 1 vm in question
do a mysql dump
split all lines for insert statement, such that each insert statement is on separate line (will help with grep)
grep -i for "improper name or UUID name" and identify affected tables (it should be 1 table I assume either instances or vm_instances, but if more you would see it come up)
in mysql workbench or similar mysql browser editor, try changing just 1 vm to see if you get the desired results, test all operations for that single vm

If worked, script the remaining portion to generate update sql commands

Document the procedure and share it with community,

Good luck
-ilya

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.

Re: Instance Names

Posted by Maurice Lawler <ma...@me.com>.
You suggest that I should leave my mistake as is. If you are unsure of the issues it may cause upon instance rebooting, I just thought it would be easy to just update a line in the database as it was mentioned to me, in the vm_instance tableā€¦

Re: Instance Names

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Instance Names

Posted by Todd Pigram <to...@toddpigram.com>.