Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Marcel Ruff <mr...@marcelruff.info> on 2003/09/02 08:18:22 UTC

SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() ?

Hi,

the SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() returns

   " !!! TODO: getInstanceRoot()"

Is there any development under way to implement
getInstanceRoot() to support scripting of
the <use> tag?

thanks,

Marcel

--
http://www.xmlBlaster.org

Re: SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() ?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Thomas DeWeese:
>
>>>  There is currently no development under way to implement this.
>>>The initial implementation of use was wrong with regards to the
>>>spec and fixing this is non-trivial (and the need is usually not
>>>obvious).  I
>>>have given thought to how it may be implemented properly but don't
>>>expect it to be fixed by the Batik committers soon.  Contributions
>>>are always welcome.
>

> Is the reason that the initial implementation is wrong is that the use'd
> elements are actually cloned and not just referenced, so that a simple
> getInstanceRoot function returning the element from the
> SVGOMCSSImportedElementRoot wouldn't be correct?

   Correct, the elements would not implement the ElementInstance
interface, and changing the element referenced by the ElementInstance
(if you were to just create them on the fly) wouldn't update all
use instances.

Re: SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() ?

Posted by Cameron McCormack <cl...@mail.csse.monash.edu.au>.
Thomas DeWeese:
> >   There is currently no development under way to implement this.
> >The initial implementation of use was wrong with regards to the
> >spec and fixing this is non-trivial (and the need is usually not
> >obvious).  I
> >have given thought to how it may be implemented properly but don't
> >expect it to be fixed by the Batik committers soon.  Contributions
> >are always welcome.

Is the reason that the initial implementation is wrong is that the use'd
elements are actually cloned and not just referenced, so that a simple
getInstanceRoot function returning the element from the
SVGOMCSSImportedElementRoot wouldn't be correct?

Thanks,

Cameron

--
Cameron McCormack
  // clm@csse.monash.edu.au

Re: SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() ?

Posted by Marcel Ruff <ma...@marcelruff.info>.
Thomas DeWeese wrote:

> Marcel Ruff wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() returns
>>
>>   " !!! TODO: getInstanceRoot()"
>>
>> Is there any development under way to implement
>> getInstanceRoot() to support scripting of
>> the <use> tag?
>

> Hi Mercel,
>
>    There is currently no development under way to implement this.
> The initial implementation of use was wrong with regards to the
> spec and fixing this is non-trivial (and the need is usually not
> obvious).  I
> have given thought to how it may be implemented properly but don't
> expect it to be fixed by the Batik committers soon.  Contributions
> are always welcome.

Thanks for the response,
i'm currently too busy to start implementing this,
removing my <use> links will solve it for the time being.

thanks,

Marcel

----

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Marcel Ruff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the SVGOMUseElement.getInstanceRoot() returns
>
>   " !!! TODO: getInstanceRoot()"
>
> Is there any development under way to implement
> getInstanceRoot() to support scripting of
> the <use> tag?

Hi Mercel,