Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nuno Manuel Martins <nu...@sonae.com> on 2009/03/26 12:59:43 UTC

mod_jk and failover

Hi All,

First the versions I am using:
Tomcat 6.0.16
JRE 1.6.0_06
Mod_jk 1.2.25

Now for the problem we are experiencing:

                We are making some tests to use in production the TomCat Cluster with JK_Mod and are using the 1 Apache with mod_jk and 2 TomCat servers..

                The test is based in a simple .jsp page that give us the localhost name, the session id, and a login variable.

                To prove that is working we tested in the following way:

                - Failover from A to B
                - "Return Home" from B to A
                - Failover again from A to B

                To do the failover we tested in 2 different ways:

                - Kill -9 Tomcat
                - Stop worker in JK_Mod

                The Results:

                - Killing the Tomcat worked fine
                - When using the STOP/ACTIVATE options in jkmanager it works fine when going from A to B, but when we re-ACTIVATE A and STOP B then the session ID is changed and all variables are lost.

This seems a very strange behavior and any help would be appreciated. Should I direct this inquiry into a specific mod_jk mailing list?

Thank you,
Nuno Manuel Martins
Tel.: +351 93 100 36 36
Sonaecom - SGPS, S.A.
IT IAM
Edifício Mar Mediterrâneo
Av. D. João II, Lote 1.06.2.4
1990-095 LISBOA

RE: mod_jk and failover

Posted by Nuno Manuel Martins <nu...@sonae.com>.
Thanks for the reply. You're saying that if I connect directly to each tomcat server separately I should have the same session ID?

This definitely isn't happening (although it does happen when I use the balancer in front). Any specific configuration I should check? I basically used the defaults provided here: http://www.mbaworld.com/docs/cluster-howto.html

On 26.03.2009 12:59, Nuno Manuel Martins wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> First the versions I am using: Tomcat 6.0.16 JRE 1.6.0_06 Mod_jk
> 1.2.25
>
> Now for the problem we are experiencing:
>
> We are making some tests to use in production the TomCat Cluster with
> JK_Mod and are using the 1 Apache with mod_jk and 2 TomCat servers..
>
> The test is based in a simple .jsp page that give us the localhost
> name, the session id, and a login variable.
>
> To prove that is working we tested in the following way:
>
> - Failover from A to B - "Return Home" from B to A - Failover again
> from A to B
>
> To do the failover we tested in 2 different ways:
>
> - Kill -9 Tomcat - Stop worker in JK_Mod
>
> The Results:
>
> - Killing the Tomcat worked fine - When using the STOP/ACTIVATE
> options in jkmanager it works fine when going from A to B, but when
> we re-ACTIVATE A and STOP B then the session ID is changed and all
> variables are lost.
>
> This seems a very strange behavior and any help would be appreciated.
> Should I direct this inquiry into a specific mod_jk mailing list?

No there is no separate list. But your description for me looks like you
should first check, whether your cluster session replication is actually
working in your above test cases.

For this simply connect to the Tomcat http ports of the nodes directly,
and only after those tests succeed start careing about a load balancer
in front.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk and failover