Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/12/08 18:37:02 UTC

Deprecating CLI

Changing the subject to reflect where the conversation is going.

It's possible to run beeline with HS2 embedded, so there's no need to
setup HS2.  We could change the CLI in Hive to call beeline in this
embedded mode, thus eliminating a code path for us to test.  But before
we do this there's a fair amount of compatibility work, since right now
beeline seems to give different error and status messages and exit codes
than the CLI.

Alan.

--
Sent with Postbox <http://www.getpostbox.com>

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Deprecating CLI

Posted by Szehon Ho <sz...@cloudera.com>.
I would like to understand what are the missing pieces/issues of Beeline
preventing deprecation of HiveCLI.  Even if we don't agree to deprecate
HiveCLI at the moment, it would be good to get concrete specific issues
(JIRA's) blocking deprecation.

Also I am not so sure of changing Hive to be a wrapper for embedded Beeline
(beeline -u jdbc:hive2://) as a pre-req for deprecation.  My understanding
is that deprecation is not supposed to mean immediately remove HiveCLI
(which is what the proposal will do), but deprecation is rather give an
indication to user to start using Beeline and allowing existing HiveCLI to
coexist for some time.  Hence the first question.

Thanks,
Szehon

Re: Deprecating CLI

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 to the idea of embedding beeline within hive cli, and retaining core
behavior such as exit codes in hive-cli while doing that.
It will make it easier for users to migrate (to a shared codepath). That
would be a good shortcut for beeline embedded mode, users don't have to
specify parameters like jdbc url, username etc.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Changing the subject to reflect where the conversation is going.
>
> It's possible to run beeline with HS2 embedded, so there's no need to
> setup HS2.  We could change the CLI in Hive to call beeline in this
> embedded mode, thus eliminating a code path for us to test.  But before we
> do this there's a fair amount of compatibility work, since right now
> beeline seems to give different error and status messages and exit codes
> than the CLI.
>
> Alan.
>
>   Olga L. Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
>  December 8, 2014 at 9:08
> We at Yahoo are very much against removing/deprecating CLI. This is the
> most common way for our users to access Hive and we do not see that
> changing any time soon. Switching everybody to HiveServer2 has performance
> and scale consequences that might not be acceptable for every use case.
>
> I would ask to decouple Hive 1.0 discussion from removing CLI.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Olga

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE