Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Anand Kishore <an...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/29 11:42:32 UTC

Boosting a subquery

Hi,
 LIA has info about boosting terms and/or fields but how do I go about
boosting an entire bracketed subquery. For example: if I have a query
consisting of 2 subqueries like:
(xyz:AAA OR qwe:BBB) OR (xyz:CCC OR zxc:DDD)
 I want to boost subquery1 so that documents are ranked accordingly.

--
- Andy

Re: Boosting a subquery

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Sep 29, 2005, at 5:42 AM, Anand Kishore wrote:

> Hi,
>  LIA has info about boosting terms and/or fields but how do I go about
> boosting an entire bracketed subquery. For example: if I have a query
> consisting of 2 subqueries like:
> (xyz:AAA OR qwe:BBB) OR (xyz:CCC OR zxc:DDD)
>  I want to boost subquery1 so that documents are ranked accordingly.

I presume you're asking how QueryParser syntax allows for this?
Simply add ^2.0 (or whatever boost you'd like) after the expression:

     (erik OR otis)^2.0 lucene

     <http://www.lucenebook.com/search?query=%28erik+OR+otis%29%5E2.0
+lucene>

You'll see the Query from the parse displayed (we use stemming, so
"otis" get stemmed in this case, poor guy, as does "lucene").

     Erik