Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/07/31 11:14:52 UTC

Moving components to git - what to do with the SVN tree

Hi,

I've talked to infra and they have set up permission so that PMC members
can write to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/_moved_to_git The
process of migrating a component to git is now as follows:

- create infra ticket for migration
- wait for infra to migrate the code
- update SCM location in pom.xml and on the website.
- create a directory in _moved_to_git
- move branches, tags, trunk directories of the component to the directory
in _moved_to_git
- add a FooNowUsesGit.txt file to the old svn location (see
commons/proper/lang for an example)

Regards,
Benedikt

Re: Moving components to git - what to do with the SVN tree

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've talked to infra and they have set up permission so that PMC members
> can write to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/_moved_to_git The
> process of migrating a component to git is now as follows:

Thanks for the hint. After the permissions have now been adjusted, I
was able to finish moving FileUpload to Git.

Jochen

Re: Moving components to git - what to do with the SVN tree

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that this leaves all the _moved_to_git files writable by the PMC.

I fail to consider that a problem. It is SVN, after all, so the
initial state will always be restorable.

Jochen

Re: Moving components to git - what to do with the SVN tree

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 July 2016 at 12:14, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've talked to infra and they have set up permission so that PMC members
> can write to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/_moved_to_git The
> process of migrating a component to git is now as follows:
>
> - create infra ticket for migration
> - wait for infra to migrate the code
> - update SCM location in pom.xml and on the website.
> - create a directory in _moved_to_git
> - move branches, tags, trunk directories of the component to the directory
> in _moved_to_git
> - add a FooNowUsesGit.txt file to the old svn location (see
> commons/proper/lang for an example)

Note that this leaves all the _moved_to_git files writable by the PMC.

There are possible solutions to this, but the effort might not be worth it.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

> I've talked to infra and they have set up permission so that PMC members
> can write to https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/_moved_to_git The
> process of migrating a component to git is now as follows:
>
> - create infra ticket for migration
> - wait for infra to migrate the code
> - update SCM location in pom.xml and on the website.
> - create a directory in _moved_to_git
> - move branches, tags, trunk directories of the component to the directory
> in _moved_to_git
> - add a FooNowUsesGit.txt file to the old svn location (see
> commons/proper/lang for an example)

You are missing "Remove the project from the svn:externals property of
the trunks-proper directory: " step, as documented on the wiki,

https://wiki.apache.org/commons/MovingToGit