Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> on 2022/12/24 10:29:26 UTC

[request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC7

Hi all,
   We've published the new RC for XalanJ 2.7.3 release (located at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xalan/j/2.7.3/RC7/). This RC,
uses Apache Commons BCEL 6.7.0, and also provides means (via improved
ant build scripts) to build and test XalanJ from the source
distribution.

The apache git tags corresponding to this RC, are following (these
have been committed as well),
xalan-java repos : xalan-j_2_7_3-rc7
xalan-test repos : xalan-j_2_7_3-rc7

The necessary XalanJ build tests pass, with this RC.

The key used to sign this RC is located within the file, at
https://dlcdn.apache.org/xalan/xalan-j/KEYS.

Please review this release candidate and vote.
[ ] +1 Release these artifacts
[ ] +0 OK, but...
[ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
[ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Great work everyone. Here's my +1 for this RC.

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [request to review, and vote] XalanJ 2.7.3 release candidate RC7

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Joseph,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 10:10 PM Joseph Kesselman <ke...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Yes, copyright should be date of change, not date of release.

Thanks for the feedback. This shall be ensured, when we shall release
XalanJ 2.7.3.

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@alum.mit.edu>.
Yes, copyright should be date of change, not date of release.

--
   /_  Joe Kesselman (he/him/his)
-/ _) My Alexa skill for New Music/New Sounds fans:

() Plaintext Ribbon Campaign
/\ Stamp out HTML mail!
________________________________
Also, should the copyright really have been changed to 2023, it's still 2022 now. I always thought that what matters is when we cut the RC, not when we guess the software might be released. But IANAL, so who knows ;-)

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 7:36 PM Gary D. Gregory <gg...@apache.org> wrote:

> Also, should the copyright really have been changed to 2023, it's still 2022 now. I always thought that what matters is when we cut the RC, not when we guess the software might be released. But IANAL, so who knows ;-)

I had mentioned, about this change within one of my XalanJ commits
today, as follows,

"modifying the copyright year on xalanj documentation footer to 2023,
since we're already nearing last week of 2022"

I believe, we could live with this aspect :)

Posted by "Gary D. Gregory" <gg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 6:23 PM Gary D. Gregory <gg...@apache.org> wrote:

> This works:
> - My ANT_HOME is already set to C:\java\apache-ant-1.10.12
> - Download and unzip https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xalan/j/2.7.3/RC7/xalan-j_2_7_3-src.zip
> - cd xalan-j_2_7_3
> - build clean fulldist
> - cd xalan-test
> - build clean jar FAILS with:
>
> build beginning...
> Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.tools.ant.Main

IMHO, the problem you're facing is, issues (i.e, could not find or
load main class org.apache.tools.ant.Main) running command "build
clean jar" from the XalanJ 2.7.3 RC7 source distribution from its
folder xalan-test. You wish to do this, using your preset ANT_HOME
environment variable (pointing to your ant home folder
C:\java\apache-ant-1.10.12) at an OS level.

I've investigated this issue a bit, and following are my findings.

The MANIFEST.MF file, available within the file ant.jar of the ant
1.10.12 release mentions following,

Created-By: 11.0.8+10 (AdoptOpenJDK)

The problem it seems to me is that,

XalanJ 2.7.3 RC7 is built with Java 1.8. And hence, the command "build
clean jar" is having problems (when using ANT_HOME pointing to your
folder C:\java\apache-ant-1.10.12) loading the ant file
org.apache.tools.ant.Main.

If you can set ANT_HOME environment variable (only for your command
line session) as following 'set
ANT_HOME=D:\xalan-j_2_7_3-src\xalan-j_2_7_3' (this is where, for
example I've expanded XalanJ 2.7.3 RC7 source distribution), the ant
run-time shall be found by jvm from the jar located at
%_ANT_HOME%\tools\ant.jar (which is available, within XalanJ 2.7.3 RC7
source distribution).

If the above mentioned resolutions, work for you, maybe we could
mention that within readme file as well, and I could then create
XalanJ 2.7.3 RC8. I don't mind creating this new RC, or subsequent RC
if that doesn't annoy you or anyone else.

I feel that, we're very close, to creating the right XalanJ 2.7.3
distributables (thanks, for all your suggestions so far).

I'd hesitate at this stage of XalanJ 2.7.3 release process, to make a
change as you've suggested within your another mail, where you've
suggested to include xalan-test folder with xalan-java folder itself,
and retire the xalan-test repos. Doing this is not difficult, but
it'll involve few more days of testing, to test that configuration.
May be, this could be done, after XalanJ 2.7.3 is released.

Please advise.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
There is no rush on my end, I'm quite busy at the moment with my day job
and other Apache projects.

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary & all,
   I've made few clarifications today, to the XalanJ readme file
located at https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=xalan-java.git;a=blob_plain;f=README;hb=refs/heads/xalan-j_2_7_1_maint.
From my point of view, this readme file now correctly describes the
XalanJ build and test process for the actual release, and also how
XalanJ source distribution users should do build and test.

If anyone, may like to provide any suggestions, about the current
contents of this readme file, Gary or someone else may do those edits
to readme file on the XalanJ repos.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,
    With respect to the details, that I had mentioned within my
previous mail on this list (about improvements to XalanJ windows build
scripts, for ant configuration),

I think, we should not provide similar improvements for the XalanJ
2.7.3 release, for files xalan-java/build.sh and xalan-test/build.sh.
These UNIX build shell scripts, are written for Bourne Shell.

But XalanJ yet not provides, these UNIX build shell scripts for other
kinds of UNIX shell environments like bash, csh, ksh, zsh.

We shall, make XalanJ 2.7.3 RC8 with an assumption that, improvements
to only XalanJ windows build scripts shall be provided with respect to
ant configuration improvements.

Please let us know, if there are any concerns about these details.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary & all,
    The fixes for the following major issue, as written by you within
an earlier mail have been done (and have been committed to, XalanJ
repos as well),

<quote>
    The important thing here is that if an environment variable like
ANT_HOME is already set, it should *not* be overwritten.
</quote>

I hope to publish XalanJ 2.7.3 RC8 very soon, and shall intimate on
XalanJ lists, for review.

Posted by "Gary D. Gregory" <gg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 7:39 PM Gary D. Gregory <gg...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't understand this in xalan-test\build.bat:
>
> set classpath=..\java\tools\ant.jar;..\java\lib\xercesImpl.jar;..\java\lib\xalan.jar;..\java\lib\serializer.jar;..\java\lib\xml-apis.jar;%CLASSPATH%
>
> Uh? a JDK is assumed to as a sibling of xalan-test? That's never going to be true IMO...

You're right. The above mentioned set classpath= line, has been there
within xalan-test\build.bat, since a long time and was possibly
written within this file by the original author of this file. The set
classpath= line within this file, perhaps suited the original author
of this file.

If we follow, the steps mentioned within the XalanJ readme file that
we've created, then XalanJ developers and users shall be able to do
all the XalanJ build and tests steps without any issues I believe.

Posted by "Gary D. Gregory" <gg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2022 at 7:28 PM Gary D. Gregory <gg...@apache.org> wrote:

> I am missing something: What are we even touching  ANT_HOME? That's where Ant is installed which will never be in ".." or "../xalan-test".

I think, there are few different ways to, locate ant jar within jvm's classpath.

I think, at some point, we introduced set ANT_HOME=..\xalan-java
within xalan-test repos. This shall not suite, all the XalanJ users.
By writing set ANT_HOME=.., within xalan-test foder (within the file
build.bat for example) of XalanJ src distribution can simply fix this
issue (this shall find ant run-time, from the parent folder of
xalan-test foder of XalanJ src distribution).

I'd suggest, lets keep this point, dependent on XalanJ users how they
solve that.

Posted by "Gary D. Gregory" <gg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by "Gary D. Gregory" <gg...@apache.org>.
Hi Mukul,

Thank you for preparing this RC. Did you try to build from a src zip? This is what reviewers of RCs should do, but something goes wrong. As a side note, the README file is confusing because it talks about cloning the xalan test repo and the contents of the repo are in fact in the src zip.

This works:
- My ANT_HOME is already set to C:\java\apache-ant-1.10.12
- Download and unzip https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/xalan/j/2.7.3/RC7/xalan-j_2_7_3-src.zip
- cd xalan-j_2_7_3
- build clean fulldist
- cd xalan-test
- build clean jar FAILS with:

build beginning...
Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.tools.ant.Main
build completed!

Running "build clean jar" fails and ANT_HOME has been updated to "..\xalan-java". That's odd, so I run

set ANT_HOME=C:\java\apache-ant-1.10.12

and check it:

ant -version
Apache Ant(TM) version 1.10.12 compiled on October 13 2021

But "build clean jar" still fails with the same error :-(