Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Jan Tosovsky <j....@email.cz> on 2017/06/05 22:23:30 UTC

Re: Xerces 2.12 release date

On 2017-04-20 Mukul Gandhi wrote:

> Xerces-J 2.12.0 would comprise of two Xerces-J releases:
>
> One release will be from the trunk ... and its XML Schema component
> will be at 1.0 level. This release would run on JDK 1.3 min.
>
> Another release ... will provide support for XML Schema 1.1.
> This release would run on JDK 1.4 min.

It sounds like artificial splitting just to keep support for Java 1.3...

From end-user point of view I would be confused when browsing maven
repository. I would have to find some documentation and investigate the
purpose of each version...

Java 1.3? In my POV the support for EOLed versions of (any) software is
beneficial only for attackers as they have easier way to compromise the
target system.

Switching to more recent Java version could help in fixing issues like this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1598

Jan

Re: Xerces 2.12 release date

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

> The division between the trunk and the XML Schema 1.1 branch never had
> anything to do with Java versions. The branch was a place for experimental
> development while the XML Schema 1.1 specification was still in flux. We
> made several "beta" releases for users with an understanding that the XML
> Schema 1.1 version of Xerces was a work in progress and along the way
> picked up a dependency (the XPath 2.0 library from Eclipse) that required
> Java 1.4+ to run. Now that the XML Schema 1.1 spec and development are
> complete we shouldn't need the split release anymore.
>
> What ends up actually happening depends on everyone's bandwidth. I hope
> it's not a secret to anyone that development activity (commits going into
> SVN) for Xerces-J has been quite low for several years. Folks aren't
> finding the time to do much coding. If uniting the branch with the trunk
> becomes another thing delaying Xerces-J 2.12 then perhaps it's better to
> continue releasing the two sets of packages than not having a release at
> all.

Personally, I'd rather see releases sooner than later. I would guess folks
(like me) would rather see RERO with bug fixes than a longer wait in order
to pick up the XML Schema 1.1 branch.

2c,
Gary

Re: Xerces 2.12 release date