Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dianne Skoll <df...@roaringpenguin.com> on 2015/10/13 21:32:24 UTC

Simplicity (was Re: SpamAssassin Rules Regarding Abuse of New Top Level Domains)

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:24:53 -0700
Larry Goldman <lg...@allstarcomputerservices.com> wrote:

> So, it is not possible to simplify the process of managing an email
> server via an easy-to-use software user interface?

I think if your goal is to simplify the process of managing an email
server, your best bet is to pay someone else to do it for you.  That
keeps your life simple and (if the person you hire is competent) your
mail running smoothly.

If, however, your duty is to run a mail sever, then sorry...  you have
to get down and dirty to manage it effectively.

Regards,

Dianne.

Re: Simplicity (was Re: SpamAssassin Rules Regarding Abuse of New Top Level Domains)

Posted by Bill Cole <sa...@billmail.scconsult.com>.
On 13 Oct 2015, at 15:46, Dianne Skoll wrote:

> CPanel is just a "hosting control panel" used by a bazillion hosting
> providers.  It's a more sophisticated version of Webmin and the like;

Or *less* depending on your concept of 'sophisticated'... It is slicker,
but it is much more tightly bound to specific versions of the tools it
supports. Hosting providers prefer it in part because it is more
restrictive by design.

Re: Simplicity (was Re: SpamAssassin Rules Regarding Abuse of New Top Level Domains)

Posted by Dianne Skoll <df...@roaringpenguin.com>.
On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:42:04 -0700
Larry Goldman <lg...@allstarcomputerservices.com> wrote:

> As a customer of CPanel, I was expecting the "competent someone else
> who is supposed to simplify the process of managing an email server
> for me" already to be working for CPanel.

CPanel is just a "hosting control panel" used by a bazillion hosting
providers.  It's a more sophisticated version of Webmin and the like;
you can manage many UNIX services without editing text files because
they're generated from Web-based input by CPanel.

How often the software is updated depends on the hosting provider.
And since most hosting providers operate on razor-thin margins, they
tend to just throw CPanel at the problem and then forget about it
until and unless customer clamoring becomes too loud to ignore. :)

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/13/2015 3:42 PM, Larry Goldman wrote:
> I’m ready to get down and dirty if necessary.
>
> As a customer of CPanel, I was expecting the “competent someone else who is supposed to simplify the process of managing an email server for me" already to be working for CPanel.
Agreed.  I think the issue is outside of our input largely because it's
in cPanel / Godaddy's hands.

Regrds,
KAM

Re: Simplicity (was Re: SpamAssassin Rules Regarding Abuse of New Top Level Domains)

Posted by Larry Goldman <lg...@allstarcomputerservices.com>.