Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jason R Briggs <ja...@rhe.co.nz> on 2007/02/13 06:10:56 UTC

character problem

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I have a specific character to include in my xml (an angle symbol
&#8736;).  The symbol is available in arial ttf, I've had this in my
fop.xconf for ages (metrics generated properly, etc).  However, that one
symbol will not display (no problems with most other symbols I've
tried).  I just get a square box.  Now, I know this usually means that
the glyph is not available -- however, as far as I can tell, it is
available.  If I open the ttf file in a font viewer, I can find it.

Using the latest fop from svn-trunk, plus running on Linux if it's any
help.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: character problem

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com>.
Jason R Briggs wrote:
> I had the same problem initially.  If I look in Arial in one font
> viewer, no angle character.  But in another one, I can see it -- and
> it's also visible in firefox.  Rather weird.

Not so weird for Firefox -- it does its own font substitution (put in
some CJK characters and that will work too.)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd

Re: character problem

Posted by Jason R Briggs <ja...@rhe.co.nz>.
I had the same problem initially.  If I look in Arial in one font
viewer, no angle character.  But in another one, I can see it -- and
it's also visible in firefox.  Rather weird.

Given that arial uni is apparently about 22MB in size, I'll stick with
standard Arial for the moment. I came across a hack/workaround while
googling that wraps the character with the Symbol font, which appears to
work for me.

Re: character problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
My arial.ttf doesn't contain the "ANGLE" character, but arialuni.ttf
does.

On 13.02.2007 06:10:56 Jason R Briggs wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.
>
> I have a specific character to include in my xml (an angle symbol
> &#8736;).  The symbol is available in arial ttf, I've had this in my
> fop.xconf for ages (metrics generated properly, etc).  However, that one
> symbol will not display (no problems with most other symbols I've
> tried).  I just get a square box.  Now, I know this usually means that
> the glyph is not available -- however, as far as I can tell, it is
> available.  If I open the ttf file in a font viewer, I can find it.
>
> Using the latest fop from svn-trunk, plus running on Linux if it's any
> help.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

Jeremias Maerki