Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net> on 2008/10/13 18:57:09 UTC

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Michelle Konzack a écrit :
> Hi *;
>
> Am 2008-10-08 18:53:00, schrieb Karsten Bräckelmann:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 17:39 +0200, mouss wrote:
>>
>>> I am learning foreign languages. it would be nice if backscatterers
>>> change the bounce text so that I learn more :-{
>>>
>>> "DIES IST NUR EINE WARNUNG."
>>>

> I send such crap directly back if they come from unknown hosts.
>

>> It's German, "This is a warning only."  Uppercase yelling style. ;)
>>
>> I guess the mail has been deferred for a couple hours, and you'll get
>> another bounce with German text in a few days.
>>

> ----[ STDIN ]-----------------------------------------------------------
> :0
> * $ ! grep "$DOMAIN" ~/.tdtools-procmail/NET_backscatter.white
> * ^To:.*(linux4michelle|michelle\.konzack|erotic4michelle)@freenet\.de
> * ^From:.*(MAILER-DAEMON|postmaster)
> * ! ^From:.*pinguin-hosting\.de
> * ! ^From:.*tamay-dogan\.net
> {
>   TMP_FROM=`formail -czx To:`
>   TMP_TO=`formail -r -t -czx To: |sed 's|.*@|@|'`
>   :0
>   * ! ^X-Loop:.*NET_backscatter
>   {
>     :0fw
>     | (formail -I "Return-Path:" -r -t -k \
>                -a "Message-ID:" \
> 	       -I "Return-Path: <>" \
>                -I "From: ${TMP_FROM}" \
> 	       -I "To: abuse${TMP_TO}, postmaster${TMP_TO}" \
>                -I "Date: `date --rfc-822`" \
>                -I "User-Agent: tdtools-procmail v2.0.0" \
>                -I "Mime-Version: 1.0" \
>                -I "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii" \
>                -I "Content-Disposition: inline" \
>                -A "X-Loop: NET_backscatter" |tdmimepacker --msg=~/tdtools-procmail/NET_backscatter.txt)
>     :0c
>     |sendmail -t
>   }
>   :0
>   .ATTENTION.FLT_backscatter/
> }

that's bad. you're contributing to backscatter. if you don't reject at
smtp time, don't bounce (unless you really know the domain you bounce
was "involved").

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
357130.96971@duane.dbq.yournetplus.com>

Duane Hill wrote on Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:09:02 +0000 (UTC):

> Therefore, linux4michelle has no "real" control over SMTP level
> filtering.,

whatever, can we please have this off-topic discussion stopped? Thanks.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

RE: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by "Koopmann, Jan-Peter" <ja...@koopmann.eu>.
> If I've been following this thread correctly, linux4michelle has
already
> stated he/she receives messages from their ISP. Therefore, rejecting
at
> the SMTP level will ultimately cause the ISP to be a source of
> backscatter (i.e. not receiving messages directly), which he/she can
not
> reject.

Then he should talkt to his ISP and tell him to either reject or discard
the backscatter for him. My point was: There are technical ways for the
receiving MTA to get rid of backscatter. If his ISP is not able/willing
to do so it would still be a very good idea for him to change his e-mail
infrastructure so that he has control and can reject backscatter.
Rejecting backscatter btw. is not causing new backscatter and if so the
problem lies on the other end. So his choice would be to live with the
200.000 e-mails because other admins are too dumb to do their job or
make sure he is not flooded anymore. I would certainly go for option 2!
:-)

> Therefore, linux4michelle has no "real" control over SMTP level
> filtering.,

Agreed. Then let him change just that... :-)

RE: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Koopmann, Jan-Peter wrote:

>> Spamers are using MY <linux4michelle> E-Mail spaming
>> russian servers and now Ihave gotten nearly
>> 200.000  backscatters  which  make  my  account unusable
>> specialy for my customers and peoples which
>> urgently  need  my help without passing over mailinglists...
>
> So you do deliver the backscatter? Why don't you filter them? There are
> several ways to do this. MailScanner, BarricadeMX, milters... You might
> not get rid of receiving them (at least partly) at MTA level but you
> definitely can make sure those backscatters never reach your inbox...

If I've been following this thread correctly, linux4michelle has already
stated he/she receives messages from their ISP. Therefore, rejecting at
the SMTP level will ultimately cause the ISP to be a source of
backscatter (i.e. not receiving messages directly), which he/she can not
reject.

This conclustion was gathered based on content of the last response which
was:

   "My IntranetServer is downloading the messages fine, it is only, because
    I do not like unwanted CC's in my public E-Mail..."

and

   "Hmmm I will ask my Hosting-Provider to install a filter which reject
    ANY messages CC'ed to me..."

That tells me he/she does not have direct access to rejecting messages at
SMTP time.

Posted by "Koopmann, Jan-Peter" <ja...@koopmann.eu>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-10-20 09:43:40, schrieb Koopmann, Jan-Peter:

> > but unfortunately  I  get  per  day nearly 100 useles  CarbonCopies
> and now 28.000 backscatters plus regular spam of 3-6000.
>
> What do you mean by "get"? You actually deliver those backscatters to
> your users? Or do you detect them quite easily and drop the connection
> during SMTP? Just curious... :-)

Spamers are using MY <linux4michelle> E-Mail spaming russian servers and
now Ihave gotten nearly  200.000  backscatters  which  make  my  account
unusable specialy for my customers and peoples which  urgently  need  my
help without passing over mailinglists...

Normaly I read this account using mutt on my Nokia Cellphone  and  IMAP,
but as I have written in a previosly message, my SIM is now  blocked  by
my ISP because I have exceeded the "standard"  traffic  of  1 GByte  and
have to pay 1 Euro/MByte more...

My current invoce is 3027 Euro.

Note: Unfortunately I can not install a bank account in Kehl/Germany
      which prevent, I can get an O2  "Genion S"  account  with  the
      5 GByte data option for 25 Euro which would  help  me  in  all
      directions since I need it ONLY for the E-Mail stuff and not
      surfing.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

RE: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by "Koopmann, Jan-Peter" <Ja...@seceidos.de>.
> but unfortunately  I  get  per  day nearly 100 useles  CarbonCopies
and now 28.000 backscatters plus regular spam of 3-6000.

What do you mean by "get"? You actually deliver those backscatters to
your users? Or do you detect them quite easily and drop the connection
during SMTP? Just curious... :-)

--
Seceidos GmbH&Co. KG    | Tel: +49 (6151) 66843-43
Robert-Bosch-Str. 7     | Fax: +49 (6151) 66843-52

persönlich haftende Gesellschafterin: Seceidos Verwaltungs GmbH, Grafrath
HRB 158903, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Robert Hochrein, Jan-Peter Koopmann

Seceidos FZE              | Tel: +971 (4) 3197741
Emirates Towers, Level 41 | Fax: +971 (4) 3197742
Sheikh Zayed Road         |
P.O. Box 31303            | SIP: 43@voip.seceidos.de
Dubai, UAE
http://www.seceidos.com/

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-10-15 17:46:00, schrieb Benny Pedersen:

> On Wed, October 15, 2008 11:36, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > DO NOT SEND ME CCs AGAIN or I will DoS your mailbox too!  OK?
>
> why did you self send this msg cc ? :(

Because I want to be sur HE get the message!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normaly I get per day 50-120 mesages on my account  which  I  read  over
"iMode" and my "Nokia 6120 classic", but unfortunately  I  get  per  day

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-10-20 18:53:16, schrieb Matt Kettler:
> No, but if the post volume bothers you, I would strongly set your
> subscription to not email you the messages, and check them over any of
> the web archives noted on the website.

I do not know, what you mean, since I am set to "NOMAIL".

I have never gotten ANY messages from those list...

Note: I am subscribed with TWO E-Mails to the list, one, which is hidden
      and non-publich to get the mailinglists without spam and my public
      <linux4michelle> mail which is currenly DoS'ed

> alternatively, you'll save a lot of bandwidth by using digest mode,
> which sends you one email a day, reducing overhead from all the message
> headers.

No thanks...

My IntranetServer is downloading the messages fine, it is only, because
I do not like unwanted CC's in my public E-Mail...

> And remember, you're the one who chooses subscribe to this list. If it
> doesn't suit you, nobody is forcing you to be subscribed.

Hmmm I will ask my Hosting-Provider to install a filter which reject ANY
messages CC'ed to me...

In procmail it is something like:

  :0
  * ^TO_linux4michelle@
  * ^TO_(users@spamassassin\.|spamassassin-users@)apache\.org
  /dev/null

but since I can not install procmail recipes on my ISPs server I have to
reject it...

But sure, the first line of the recipe will be VERY long!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
*       Do not Cc: me, because I READ THIS LIST, if I write here       *
*    Keine Cc: am mich, ich LESE DIESE LISTE wenn ich hier schreibe    *

Am 2008-10-16 22:39:42, schrieb Matt Kettler:
> CC + post is the normal commonly accepted format for this list, and is
> the manner in which most members of the SpamAssassin PMC, myself
> included, conduct themselves when posting.  Please also respect that
> this is the SpamAssassin list, not your list. Do not attempt to dictate
> posting rules here. If you don't like how the list operates, please
> bring it up with the PMC (pmc@spamassassin.apache.org), but bear in
> mind, it is our list to operate as we choose, and you will need to make
> a compelling argument here.

Maybe you can pay me GSM/UMTS bill?

My Invoce was in July 2100 Euro, in August 1400 Euro  and  in  September
3200 Euro...  Now I was hit by over 90.000 backscatters  and  my  french
GSM-Provider (Bouygues Telecom) has blocked my SIM.  Not Internet  @home
anymore...

I get the Mailinglists in a internet Cafe for 2 €/hour and arround  5000
messages per hour, but my account <linux4michelle> is used  professionel
which must i check permanently and 2 MByte of CCs per day  cost  arround
20 Euro.  I have to pay 0.009 Euro/kByte.

> I also feel quite strongly that threats of attack on members of the list
> are not appropriate. Please do not post further threats of attack to the
> list, or engage in threatening behavior in off-list replies.

I have NEVER requested CCs and will never accept it except  in  case  of
URGENCE where I have to be reached immediately.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
+1 for dropping this thread.

However, as a SpamAssassin Project Management Committee (PMC) member I
do feel a short statement about the policies of this list is needed here.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, October 16, 2008 00:38, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Create a Reply-To: header when posting if you want a different behavior.
>>

> dont suggest that :)

Why, it's the proper, RFC compliant way to do it.  (and mind you, the
document out on the web is "Reply-To *MUNGING* considered harmful",
which has no problem to do with proper, client originated Reply-To
generation)

Re: Can use some advice on a simple rule

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Richard Ozer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We've been getting quite a bit of spam with the following header:

> From: David Samuels <la...@miro-ka.de>
> To: <ri...@mydomain.com>
> Subject: New Job!  -2UigK
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 13:16:03 +0000
>
> I've been trying to write a rule that looks at the From: line in the header.  I've tried the following with no success...
>
> header DAVID_SAMUELS            From =~ /David Samuels/
> describe DAVID_SAMUELS          From: Contains David Samuels
> score DAVID_SAMUELS 10
>
> What am I missing here...

When used alone like that "from" is a bit magic in SA. SA pre-processes
the "from" header (and actually mixes in other "from" like headers, such
as Return-Path, X-Sender, etc) and IIRC it only reports email address
portions to the rules.

Try this instead:

header DAVID_SAMUELS            From:name =~ /David Samuels/
describe DAVID_SAMUELS          From: Contains David Samuels
score DAVID_SAMUELS 10

the :name specifier should extract the name part, and only the name
part, of the From: header.

Can use some advice on a simple rule

Posted by Richard Ozer <RI...@ois-online.com>.
Greetings,

We've been getting quite a bit of spam with the following header:

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On Thu, October 16, 2008 00:38, Matt Kettler wrote:
>
>> Create a Reply-To: header when posting if you want a different behavior.
>>

> dont suggest that :)

Smarta..

 :-)

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Wed, October 15, 2008 18:05, mouss wrote:

> Don't trust my words. check the archives:
>
> - SA: Justin Mason, Matt Kettler, John Hardin, ...
> - postfix: Wietse (yes, the author of postfix)
> - dovecot: Timo (yes, the author of dovecot)
> - take a look at the ietf-smtp archives. some names? John Klensin, Dave
> Crocker, keith Moore, ... do these names look familiar to you? If not,
> time to read some RFCs.

cc is okay as long the mail is NOT posted to maillist aswell !

but thanks for the list of knowledgeable :)

> so you think all these people are wrong and you're right?

aslong thay DONT pay for my internet connection yes

> Let's please avoid yet another useless thread. Go on if you want to have
> the last word. But let's stop after that.

maybe i have made my self clear this time ?

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Michelle Konzack a écrit :
> DO NOT SEND ME CCs AGAIN

When did I CC you?

# grep -i "linux4michelle" /var/log/maillog.3
# grep -i "linux4michelle" /var/log/maillog.2
# grep -i "linux4michelle" /var/log/maillog.1
# grep -i "linux4michelle" /var/log/maillog.0

but you did CC me:

# grep -i "michelle" /var/log/maillog
Oct 15 16:33:28 imlil postmx/smtpd[71828]: NOQUEUE: warn: RCPT from
server4.pinguin-hosting.de[88.198.11.108]: Transaction logged:
PTR=server4.pinguin-hosting.de; from=<li...@tamay-dogan.net>
to=<mo...@netoyen.net> proto=ESMTP helo=<server4.pinguin-hosting.de>
Oct 15 16:33:28 imlil postfix/qmgr[48086]: 86596E5482C:
from=<li...@tamay-dogan.net>, size=3304, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 15 16:33:29 imlil postfix/qmgr[48086]: 2EF57E54833:
from=<li...@tamay-dogan.net>, size=3692, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 15 16:33:29 imlil amavis[71945]: (71945-09) Passed CLEAN,
[88.198.11.108] [194.250.145.134] <li...@tamay-dogan.net> ->
<mo...@netoyen.net>, Message-ID:
<20...@tamay-dogan.net>, mail_id: Coh61o6T84D7, Hits:
-1.571, size: 3301, queued_as: 2EF57E54833, Tests:
[AWL=-1.589,COUNTRY_DE=0.01,COUNTRY_FR=0.01,SPF_HELO_PASS=-0.001,SPF_PASS=-0.001],
autolearn=unavailable, 615 ms

> or I will DoS your mailbox too!  OK?

Michelle, What did you eat at lunch?

> I have NOT REQUESTED A Carbon Copy.
>
> Peoples sending me hundreds of unneeded CCs (over 2 MB per  day)  making
> me very angry since this list IS SUBSCRIBER ONLY and I get the  messages
> IF I WRITE HERE!

First of all, I didn't CC you. Second, CC isn't all evil. different
people have different preferences. so please do not try to impose your
own. If you check the archives, you'll find that knowledgeable members
do Cc.

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-10-15 17:53:01, schrieb mouss:
> if it's a big ISP, they simply won't care.

FullACK.  You can only save ANY spam you get from  them,  then  write  a
letter and ask for damages.  If they do not stop  within  e.g.  14 days,
you DoS them and let them know that it was YOU.

If they now sue you, you present your Invoice with all  preuve  and  you
win.  --  At least in France and Germany.

Please note, that currently I can not more work,  since  all  of  my  17
business accounts are DoS'ed  I have damages of more then 1000 Euro/day.

> Most phishes I see here come via orange.fr. Last time I contacted them
> (after a backscatter storm), I got a mail telling me how to install
> Norton AV. sigh. well, now at least they don't scatter (apparently, they
> discard if mail is undeliverable, as I've seen some orange customers
> complain about lost mail! sigh^2).

How many do you get?

I have around 18.000 maybe and I am sueing  the  customers  of  "Orange"
which works quiet well, because you can compare the Computer with a  car
which had no "TÜV" (german techical control) and you mad an accident.

You are coupable and must pay for damages...

I have done this now several times with success in Germany and France

> oh no. if "they" hear you, we'll have as much snail mail spam and phone
> spam! BTW I do get a lot more phone spam now.

I get SMS spam daily...

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Benny Pedersen a écrit :
> On Wed, October 15, 2008 17:53, mouss wrote:
>> Benny Pedersen a écrit :
>>> why should internet be so diffrent then the snail mail ?
>> oh no. if "they" hear you, we'll have as much snail mail spam and phone
>> spam! BTW I do get a lot more phone spam now.
>
> you paid there call ? :)

no, but it's very annoying. and sometimes, they wake up the kids...

> all free services is easy to abuse, but when the spammers need to paid,
> thay think another time will i get my money back :)

while they can't spam the whole world, they have a budget to get enough
"units" (calls or snail mail) to spam us. sure, I don't get called from
foreign countries, but if every marketer in Paris calls me, they'll
saturate my line and my nerves.

I do understand that internet spam is cheap and easy. but I don't take
that road. I don't want their spam, whether they pay or not.

Re: German for the backscatter-plagued

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Am 2008-10-13 18:57:09, schrieb mouss:
> that's bad. you're contributing to backscatter. if you don't reject at
> smtp time, don't bounce (unless you really know the domain you bounce
> was "involved").

The Messahes are checked and definitively coming from those domains.

I am on GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS and have currently  over  63.000  (2008-10-15
11:25:37 CET) in my mailbox and can not more read my business mail.

GoogleMail has already contacted my by Telephone...

Now <googlemail> and <earthlink.net> has stoped bothering me wit several
1000 backscatter per day...

For the others I am waiting...

I pay 0.10 Euro/MByte and my current damage (since Friday last week)  is
already over 3000 Euro because I was not @home and  my  Intranet  Server
has tried to download my regular mail...

Which are around 500 MByte per month which cost 35 Euro/month.

If they do not stop, I DoS there servers...  And IF they sue me, I  have
all currently 86.000 backscatters they send to me archived and backed-up

IF they want to sue me, they must come to Europe and then I am  able  to
hit them, because they have DoS'ed my Server/Mailboxes.

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Michelle Konzack a écrit :
> DO NOT SEND ME CCs AGAIN or I will DoS your mailbox too!  OK?

you may need to fix your system. it's apparently resending the same
message again.

and again, I did not CC you. OK?