Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/22 19:43:53 UTC

Metrics granularity needed?

Hi,

Got a question about the level of performance metrics granularity people
need/want for monitoring Storm.

We just improved our Storm monitoring in SPM for
Storm<http://sematext.com/spm/> by
aggregating and graphing metrics for each bolt and spout individually, so
one can now select one or more bolts or spouts in the UI and see metrics
for any one or more of the selected bolts/spouts.

I think this is useful, but now I'm wondering if we need to get more
granular than that?

For example, consider this:

builder3.setBolt("PrintOutBolt", new PrintOutBolt(500), *3*
).shuffleGrouping("CdrReader");

Each of these 3 things emits the same metrics as bolts and spouts, right?
 We could capture their metrics, too, so that one can see metrics for each
of these executors.

... but I'm wondering if people really need this level of granularity?

Thanks,
Otis