Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> on 2013/05/17 18:55:01 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1483879 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c

Johan Corveleyn wrote on Fri, May 17, 2013 at 18:19:10 +0200:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM,  <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Author: danielsh
> > Date: Fri May 17 15:47:37 2013
> > New Revision: 1483879

> > Log:
> > Tweak 'svnadmin info' output for packed FSFS filesystems.
> >
> > * subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c
> >   (subcommand_info):
> >     Replace a tristate output field with two binary fields.  This adds
> >     information (there are four possible outputs, rather than three).  The
> >     old tristate output was misleading, since it could print "yes" and "no"
> >     like binary fields do.
> >
> > New output:
> >     % svnadmin info 5 | me
> >     Filesystem Type: fsfs
> >     Filesystem Format: 6
> >     FSFS Sharded: yes
> >     FSFS Shard Size: 4
> >     FSFS Packed: yes
> >     FSFS Packable: no
>
> Huh? It's packed but not packable?

Yes.

The comments in the code explain the difference.  Suggestions for
a better UI welcome.

> Like in: "it's tested but not testable" :-) ?

No, like "it's discovered and not discoverable".

Re: svn commit: r1483879 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Fri, May 17, 2013 at 17:32:36 +0000:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 06:24:59PM +0100, Philip Martin wrote:
> > Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> writes:

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > The comments in the code explain the difference.  Suggestions for
> > > a better UI welcome.
> >
> > FSFS Packed: how many shards are packed
> > FSFS Packable: how many more shards could be packed
> >
> > So with shard size 4, three shards, and HEAD 22 you get
> >
> > FSFS Packed: 3
> > FSFS Packable: 2
>
> You could combine those as:
>
> FSFS Packed Shards: 3/5

I implemented the above line in r1483953.

> FSFS Packing Enabled: yes

I didn't implement this line.  Perhaps it would be clearer to print
something.  On the other hand, saying nothing is consistent with how we
handle other features (eg, 'svn --version | grep serf'), not to mention
with how svnadmin1.9 will handle new-in-1.10 features.

Re: svn commit: r1483879 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 06:24:59PM +0100, Philip Martin wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> writes:
>
> > Johan Corveleyn wrote on Fri, May 17, 2013 at 18:19:10 +0200:

> >> Huh? It's packed but not packable?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > The comments in the code explain the difference.  Suggestions for
> > a better UI welcome.
>
> FSFS Packed: how many shards are packed
> FSFS Packable: how many more shards could be packed
>
> So with shard size 4, three shards, and HEAD 22 you get
>
> FSFS Packed: 3
> FSFS Packable: 2

You could combine those as:

FSFS Packed Shards: 3/5
FSFS Packing Enabled: yes

Re: svn commit: r1483879 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download

Re: svn commit: r1483879 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/svnadmin/svnadmin.c

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de> wrote:
> The comments in the code explain the difference.  Suggestions for
> a better UI welcome.

How about "FSFS Packing Enabled" and "FSFS Fully Packed"