Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Willy Reinhardt <wr...@novell.com> on 2005/08/23 10:39:11 UTC

orphans and widows

Hi,

I am using fop version 0.20.5 and according the compliance page
properties widows and orphans aren't supported. But after looking over
the net I found some messages which said the orphans,widows properties
are implemented (version 0.17.).

- What is the status, orphans and widows properties are implemented or
not ?
- If not how to manage a break into fo:block when it reach the end of
page ?

Thanks

Willy

Note: I tried to use it and usually when you use an unimplemented
feature fop log a message "[ERROR] property - "xxx" is not implemented
yet."  I didn't get any log message but the result wasn't correct.
I use it as:
<fo:block font-family="Times,serif" font-size="10pt"
font-weight="normal" color="black" text-align="justify" orphans="5"
widows="5">
huge texte...
</fo:block>

Re: orphans and widows

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 23.08.2005 10:39:11 Willy Reinhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using fop version 0.20.5 and according the compliance page
> properties widows and orphans aren't supported. But after looking over
> the net I found some messages which said the orphans,widows properties
> are implemented (version 0.17.).
>
> - What is the status, orphans and widows properties are implemented or
> not ?

They are not implemented in 0.20.5. They work in the current development
code, however. :-)

> - If not how to manage a break into fo:block when it reach the end of
> page ?

The only thing you can probably do with 0.20.5 is to put the blocks in a
table and use keep-together.

> Thanks
>
> Willy
>
> Note: I tried to use it and usually when you use an unimplemented
> feature fop log a message "[ERROR] property - "xxx" is not implemented
> yet."  I didn't get any log message but the result wasn't correct.
> I use it as:
> <fo:block font-family="Times,serif" font-size="10pt"
> font-weight="normal" color="black" text-align="justify" orphans="5"
> widows="5">
> huge texte...
> </fo:block>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: orphans and widows

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Willy Reinhardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using fop version 0.20.5 and according the compliance page
> properties widows and orphans aren't supported. But after looking over
> the net I found some messages which said the orphans,widows properties
> are implemented (version 0.17.).

Version 0.17 is very old. I don't think FOP has ever implemented keep-*
or widow/orphan properties since the start of the project. Perhaps
someone modified a copy of FOP to meet their needs, which involved
implementing keep-* or widow/orphan properties.

> - What is the status, orphans and widows properties are implemented or
> not ?
> - If not how to manage a break into fo:block when it reach the end of
> page ?

The way to prevent a block being split over a page break is to use
keep-together="always" on a fo:block. This hasn't been implemented in
0.20.5 or any version before it, but it has been implemented in the
current development version. You can download it from SVN, compile it
and try it for yourself. Note, that the development version doesn't yet
honour widow/orphan properties, but keep-* properties are sufficient for
most people's requirements.

Chris