Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/01 21:45:00 UTC

Openjdk Quality Outreach

Hi all,

following up after our latest discovery of some JDK issue, I thought it may
be good to join

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach

Any opinions?

Any takers?

-Sven

Re: Openjdk Quality Outreach

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
+1

NetBeans should be there too, it will certainly stress-test OpenJDK much
more than other projects.

Perhaps this could be a by-product of NetCAT? Although I don't believe we
don't really test with JDK 8 anymore.

--emi

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

getting the possibility to file issues is one piece of the puzzle, getting
more attention to Apache NetBeans Community and ensuring we will be good to
run on latest Java version (i.e. find issues early). We can do this without
being part of the outreach, but I think it will be far more effective to
play inside the quality outreach.

-Sven

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 4:27 PM Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, would it be possible to report OpenJDK bugs then? Or what's the
> exact purpose of that initiative?
>
> Yesterday I found what seems to be a bug in the GTK Plaf, that makes
> NetBeans 10 hang while installing nb-javac [1] on Linux.
>
> Would that allow us to report bugs to OpenJDK? Or do we still need an
> "OpenJDK Author status or above" to report bugs [2]?
>
> Cheers,
> Antonio
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1584
>
> [2]
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/secure/Dashboard.jspa
>

> El 1/11/18 a las 22:45, Sven Reimers escribió:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > following up after our latest discovery of some JDK issue, I thought it
> may
> > be good to join
> >
> > https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach
> >
> > Any opinions?
> >
> > Any takers?
> >
> > -Sven

Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Re: Openjdk Quality Outreach

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
I think there is a point of contact for the project in outreach,
who will get direct access to bugs.openjdk,org.

That may cut time short a bit.

For the moment I am sending e-maile to the according openjdk list to get
one of the active people on the list filing the issue (e.g. Mandy in case
of the serviceability problem with the profiler).

Would be helpful to have one on the team to do this (I am an author for
OpenJFX so I can do this for JavaFX related stuff, I assume Jan has more
privileges...).

-Sven

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 5:54 PM Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com> wrote:

> It's already possible to submit OpenJDK bugs at
> https://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/ , it's just that we don't get
> direct access to the OpenJDK JIRA. If they opened it up completely, they
> would presumably get spammed with thousands of Minecraft-related
> complaints...
>
> The following bugs were all submitted via the above link:
>
> In my experience it takes about month from you submit the bug until they
> appear in the OpenJDK JIRA.
>
> -- Eirik

* Apache NetBeans PPMC: http://netbeans.apache.org
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: https://www.meetup.com/JUG-Bodensee
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009 & 2018

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi all,