Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Uddipan Mukherjee <Ud...@infosys.com> on 2012/11/01 08:41:47 UTC

Map Reduce slot

Hi Hadoop Gurus.

  What is the good way to know following information in my Hadoop cluster.

# number of Map slots
# number of Reducer slots
JVM Heapsize for Map task
JVM heapsize for reduce task
reuse JVM flag

Thanks and Regards
Uddipan

Infosys e-mail system.

RE: Map Reduce slot

Posted by "Kartashov, Andy" <An...@mpac.ca>.
I checked my MR admin page running on <host>:50030:jobtracker.jsp this is what I am learning.

I run 2-core processor, so the admin page told me   that my max map/reduce slot capacity was  14 or so I assume 7 nodes x 2slots.

I did not touch the property of .map.tasks. It seemed that MR set it nicely to 14 automatically, processing 45 of my maps.  However, I increased reduce task from the default 1 to 14 in the mapred-site.xml of the JobTracker.

<property>
    <name>mapred.reduce.tasks</name>
    <value>14</value>
  </property>

The job worked really fast.

Running Map TasksRunning Reduce TasksTotal SubmissionsNodesOccupied Map SlotsOccupied Reduce SlotsReserved Map SlotsReserved Reduce SlotsMap Task CapacityReduce Task CapacityAvg. Tasks/NodeBlacklisted NodesExcluded Nodes14017<http://ec2-54-242-185-163.compute-1.amazonaws.com:50030/machines.jsp?type=active>1400014144.000<http://ec2-54-242-185-163.compute-1.amazonaws.com:50030/machines.jsp?type=blacklisted>1<http://ec2-54-242-185-163.compute-1.amazonaws.com:50030/machines.jsp?type=excluded>
Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
"However in production clustes the jvm size is marked final to prevent abuses that may lead to OOMs."

Not necessarily.

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by Bejoy Ks <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udippan

The number of map/reduce tasks slots on your cluster is the sum of all the
slots from your TaskTracker nodes. Based on your node's resource
availability you can even configure that on a per node basis. The slots are
defined on a node level using the following properties
mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum and
mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum .

As Kapil mentioned the total number of slots across the cluster can be
obtained from JT web UI.

The other 3 properties can be defined on a job level. However in production
clustes the jvm size is marked final to prevent abuses that may lead to
OOMs.

The jvm size of task jvms are defined by 'mapred.child.java.opts' which
defaults to 200 Mb and the jvm reuse is defined by
'mapred.job.reuse.jvm.num.tasks' which defaults to 1 task per jvm.

HTH.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Re: Map Reduce slot

RE: Map Reduce slot

RE: Map Reduce slot

RE: Map Reduce slot

Re: Map Reduce slot

Re: Map Reduce slot

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by kapil bhosale <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uddipan,

Uddipan_Mukherjee@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi Hadoop Gurus.
>
>   What is the good way to know following information in my Hadoop cluster.
>
> # number of Map slots
> # number of Reducer slots
> JVM Heapsize for Map task
> JVM heapsize for reduce task
> reuse JVM flag
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Uddipan

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
> are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
> out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
> the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

kap's

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by kapil bhosale <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uddipan,

In my Opinion
 Hadoop Jobtracker Interface provides every Details Including
   # number of Map slots
   # number of Reducer slots

 and other Infromation can also be found in Log files generated.
 Which can also be explored through the same Interface.
 Jobtracker address : Masternode:your_port/jobtracker.jsp <http://#>

Other useful details can also be found.

-
kapil

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Uddipan Mukherjee <
Uddipan_Mukherjee@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi Hadoop Gurus.
>
>   What is the good way to know following information in my Hadoop cluster.
>
> # number of Map slots
> # number of Reducer slots
> JVM Heapsize for Map task
> JVM heapsize for reduce task
> reuse JVM flag
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Uddipan

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
> are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
> out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
> the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

kap's

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by kapil bhosale <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uddipan,

In my Opinion
 Hadoop Jobtracker Interface provides every Details Including
   # number of Map slots
   # number of Reducer slots

 and other Infromation can also be found in Log files generated.
 Which can also be explored through the same Interface.
 Jobtracker address : Masternode:your_port/jobtracker.jsp <http://#>

Other useful details can also be found.

-
kapil

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Uddipan Mukherjee <
Uddipan_Mukherjee@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi Hadoop Gurus.
>
>   What is the good way to know following information in my Hadoop cluster.
>
> # number of Map slots
> # number of Reducer slots
> JVM Heapsize for Map task
> JVM heapsize for reduce task
> reuse JVM flag
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Uddipan

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
> are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
> out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
> the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

kap's

Re: Map Reduce slot

Posted by kapil bhosale <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uddipan,

In my Opinion
 Hadoop Jobtracker Interface provides every Details Including
   # number of Map slots
   # number of Reducer slots

 and other Infromation can also be found in Log files generated.
 Which can also be explored through the same Interface.
 Jobtracker address : Masternode:your_port/jobtracker.jsp <http://#>

Other useful details can also be found.

-
kapil

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Uddipan Mukherjee <
Uddipan_Mukherjee@infosys.com> wrote:

> Hi Hadoop Gurus.
>
>   What is the good way to know following information in my Hadoop cluster.
>
> # number of Map slots
> # number of Reducer slots
> JVM Heapsize for Map task
> JVM heapsize for reduce task
> reuse JVM flag
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Uddipan

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
> are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys
> has taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
> out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
> the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

kap's