Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/07/31 21:46:48 UTC

Re: Delete by query

Just a note on the completeness of the TCK. There are not many tests
that are in place to test the behavior of deleting instances in this
particular case (non-cascade, non-dependent, join table for one-many
relationship).

We do plan on adding test cases in this general area for the JDO 2.1
Maintenance Release.

Craig

On Jul 31, 2007, at 12:51 AM, Andy Jefferson wrote:

>> That would make sense to me as well. I indeed want
>> the entries in the PAGE table to remain there. I also thought there
>> should be no need in the .orm file to specify anything specific
>> (like a
>> cascade delete) in order to have the corresponding entries in
>> BOOK_PAGE
>> being deleted as well, according to the spec. The reason I asked
>> is that
>> my current jdo vendor requires me to do this and is not convinced the
>> spec is clear about this.
>
> The (JDO2) spec is clear enough IMHO, and the TCK is there to
> enforce the
> spec. Is your current vendor passing the JDO2 TCK? If the vendor is
> not
> convinced the spec is clear then they should raise it with the EG,
> and Apache
> JDO. If they have an issue with a TCK test then they can raise a
> CHALLENGE on
> the test in question. Very well defined process.
>

> If there is "dependent-element" specified as true on the
> <collection> then the
> elements will also be deleted. If not, then it defaults to false
> and the
> elements won't be deleted, just removed from the collection (hence
> any join
> table entry removed). If it was a FK relation then the FK would be
> nulled
> when dependent-element was false.
>

> HTH
> --